King Edward VII School Magazine

[No. 11


Hon. Sec.


School Notes


Tantaene Animis Caelestibus Irae?


Armistice Day




School Chapel


Junior School Football


Voyage en France


Fives Notes.


The World Jamboree, Holland


Orchestra Notes


Chatsworth Park Camp


Old Edwardians.




House Notes


schaftsfahrt, or, Eine neue Harzreise


Illustrations -


A Matter of Nationality


At the Paris Exhibition.




Photographs from Rhodesia



School Notes.

THE Michaelmas Term is usually the quietest of the year. Half-term over, Christmas seems to approach in no time. No examinations rear their ugly heads, except for the Mite who try for scholarships. Socials and the " Shout " bring the term to a pleasant end. Yet, in spite of this apparent leisure, THE MAGAZINE has, as usual, been largely forgotten. Contributions have to be coaxed from a few hard-worked members of the Upper School. Again we must appeal for more contributions. We want THE MAGAZINE to be representative of the whole School, not merely of the Sixth Form.

Congratulations to K. A. Chare, C. W. Fletcher, D. K. Griffith, A. Holden and A. W. R. Long on being appointed prefects ; to G. D. Bolsover on being appointed Head of the School ; to W. A. Burley on being appointed Second Prefect and Captain of Football.

Congratulations also to K. A. Chare on being awarded a Hastings Scholarship of £115 a year for modern languages at Queen's College, Oxford ; and to T. G. Crookes, B. Mayo and J. H. Simon on being awarded State Scholarships of value up to £150 a year.

We welcome five new members of the Staff : Messrs. J. H. Atkins, B.A., of King's College, Cambridge ; H. Brearley, B.Sc., of Leeds University ; W. Moles, B.A., of Belfast University ; R. Ward, B.A., of Keble College; Oxford, and the Carnegie Physical Training College, Leeds ; A. A. Waterhouse, B.A., of Downing College, Cambridge.

Armistice Day

T HE address was given by Dr. A. E. Naish, a leading Sheffield doctor and an old friend of the School. The War, he told us, was one of the greatest events in history ; for four and a half years ` there had been a continuous cannonade, and on the average three thousand men had been killed each day. 1918, he continued, was a year of terrible anxiety for him and his fellow countrymen. It was rumoured that the whole of the British troops were to be evacuated from France and men were in daily fear of "prussianisation." However, on 18th July of that year came news of a British advance,, and every subsequent day brought news of a further advance. In September, when Allenby completely routed the Turks from Palestine, confidence returned. We who were born after 1918, could never realise what the War meant, but for him it had so many memories that the four and a half years of its duration seemed far longer than the last nineteen.

But both his generation and ours felt that war was a " stupid, brutal, and irrational way of settling right and wrong." And yet to-day we saw Europe cut asunder from north to south, and from east to west, by the Rome-Berlin and Paris-Moscow axes. Austria, Hungary, Rumania, Jugo-Slavia and Poland were all at loggerheads. The Mediterranean was a constant source of danger, and Spain was engaged in civil war. What could we do about it ? How could we settle our disputes in a more natural fashion ?

Pacifists, while vaunting their desire for peace, were themselves the most quarrelsome people, and had merited the term " pacifisti-cuffs." It was for us to establish peace in our own lives and to live in harmony with our fellows, not desiring peace for its own sake, but relying on something far deeper. " Peace on earth, goodwill to men," he thought, would be better written : " Peace on earth, because we have goodwill to men." To express our goodwill in the appreciation of our fellows' good qualities, it was necessary for us to discipline ourselves. " Self-discipline," concluded Dr. Naish, " brings peace."

School Chapel.

ON Sunday, 26th September, the School Chapel Service was held. The attendance was not as large as it might have been, particularly in the Upper School.

The address was given by the Bishop of Carlisle, who chose as his text Acts iii, 44 : "And all that believed were together, and had all things common."

It was a text, he said, on which he had often preached about ten years ago. These . sermons were nearly always reported, but generally very badly. The reporter was often incapable of trans­cribing the text correctly, and instead of writing " and had all things common," wrote " and had all things in common," which was a very different matter. As a result of these bad reports, people got the impression that he was talking about communism, when he was actually talking about something altogether different. The " things " referred to in this text were spiritual, not material. The Early Church, he admitted, did adopt .a communistic system, but was compelled to give it up as impracticable.

The fellowship that was theirs, he said, still existed to-day, and all could partake of it. Those who were united in the love of Jesus Christ, enjoyed the fruit of the Spirit in their personal lives, " love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meek­ness, temperance." They must not, however, expect such virtues to reign throughout the world in their own time. Many great evils, national and international, still remained in the world, and from these we had no right to expect a speedy release, partly because we were not ready, and partly because we were not deserving. He concluded by exhorting us to share in the common blessings of the apostles and to strive for the coming of the Kingdom of Heaven into our own lives.

Voyage en France


II faut naturellement qu'on traverse la Manche pour arriver a Paris, mais le voyage a ete peu agreable, et le mieux sera de commencer notre recit a l'Exposition. Alors :­

We paid our six francs to the highly-coloured female in the ticket kiosk, took our tickets, pushed through the turnstile and entered the International Exhibition of 1937. After picking our way through the dense throng of vendors of post cards and sun glasses we eventually arrived at the edge of the Terrasse du Trocadero.

Stretched before us lay the Exhibition. Straight in front the Eiffel Tower, built for the Exhibition of 1887, on the right the Russian Pavilion, surmounted by two huge figures of a young man and woman holding a hammer and sickle. On the left the German Pavilion, from the top of which the German eagle looked out ; and in the distance the domed roof of the Invalides, resting place of Napoleon, gleamed in the hot sun.

Below, fountains shot water high into the air, making a wonder­ful picture in front of the gleaming white buildings. We descended the steps and took our places in one of the vedettes which tour the Exhibition. We passed the Pavilions of Belgium, Great Britain and Canada, through the huge archway made by the four legs of the Eiffel Tower up and down which we could see the lifts moving, past the Radio Pavilion and the Pavilion of Wood, and so back past the Italian Pavilion to where we started from.

It was night. All round searchlights were playing on the build­ings. Along the Seine moved coloured boats, threading their way through the innumerable fountains which shot up. Just by the German Pavilion some extra powerful fountains shot water high into the air, whilst the searchlights which coloured them continually changed from blue to red, and from red to yellow. The slight breeze blew spray on to the mass of people watching by the River, and the wet roads shone with reds, yellows and greens, reflections of the brilliant colours all round.

After three rather tiring days in Paris we were pleased to arrive at Clermont Ferrand, which was to have been the starting place for our walking. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, we had to make Clermont our headquarters for the next six days, as it was impossible to obtain accommodation for us in the other places which we wished to visit. Nevertheless we had a very good time exploring the surrounding country, and made one whole day excursion to Le Mont Dore from where some of the party climbed Le Sancy, the highest mountain in the neighbourhood. On the descent we passed two men playing Hunting Horns, the music of which sounded very pretty when there was a good echo. Another day was spent walking along the banks of the River Allier which, Turner assured us, contained some special kind of bacteria. Le Puy-de-Dome was also ascended, two hours being spent at the summit, from which a marvellous view was obtained of the surround­ing country. The descent was very easily accomplished as all one had to do was to sit down and slide, the only disadvantage being that on arriving at the bottom the whole of the party's shorts were covered with bilberry stain.

On the following Thursday we travelled on by train to Le Lioran, a tiny village consisting of two hotels, a post office, a station and a chapel. The next morning, after leaving our packs in the station to be brought along by train under the care of Spencer, we set out on our sixteen mile walk to St. Flour. We climbed the Plomb du Cantal in record time, and had lunch beside a stream at its foot. At about 5.30 we stopped at a small village and drank lemonade, eventually arriving at St. Flour.

We entered St. Flour from the wrong end, as it turned out, for we had a long walk to our hotel. We were thus not very attracted by the town as we made our weary way through its narrow streets. So much the greater was our delight the next morning, when in glorious sunshine we clambered up the steep hillside on which the town is built, past picturesque cottages, and under ancient arches, until we reached the market-place, and found it come to life. Stalls stacked with melons and pears and grapes, and all manner of other fruit and vegetables, biscuit barrows, railings hung with brightly coloured cotton ties, knick-knack vendors and cheapjacks, and town-folk and country-folk in crowds, all gay and cheerful-and talkative ! But best of all was " la rue Marchande." Narrow at all times, now it was packed with two rows of peasant-women, with baskets in their hands or at their feet, and their customers passing to and fro (if they could) amongst them. Real peasant produce they had to sell-eggs and butter, cheese and rabbits, ducks and fowls-all trussed but alive the fowls protesting; the rabbits demure, and the cheese, well, cheesy ! Market-day at St. Flour was one of the high-lights of our holiday.

Late that afternoon, after a long but interesting bus ride, through woods, across moors, down into the precipitous gorge of the Allier and slowly up the other side, we reached Le Puy, our " finale." Le Puy must be unique, with its rocky pinnacles jutting up within the town, each with some man-made adornment at its summit. The first to catch our eye was surmounted by " Notre Dame de France," gigantic and violently red. Only at night, when the statue was floodlit, were the tones softer and less jarring. Quite different is the little chapel on the Rocher St. Michel, a more slender pinnacle, crowned by a beautiful example of Romanesque architec­ture, on a plan improvised to fit in, or on, to the contours of the rock. But alas ! the chapel is uncared for and abused by tourists, for its walls are covered with names, scribbled and carved.

The main industry of Le Puy and the surrounding district is evident the moment you pass the first house. Before it you will see sitting one of the thousands of industrious lacemakers. They work the lace on little cushions, with many tiny bobbins hanging to them, which they hold on their knees, as they sit chatting with their neighbours, and keeping a friendly eye on the passing world, which of course, includes you. Many of them, especially the older women, wear dainty, close-fitting lace caps, and great is the variety of their products, as you may see in any of the well-stocked laceshops in the town.

St. Flour and Le Puy together put the crown upon our holiday. Brioude, where we spent a sleepy afternoon on our way back to Paris, was rather an anti-climax, except in one respect. And this brings us to the adventures of our " inner men."

Before leaving England we had heard horrible accounts of what the French food was like, and our first encounter with it, in the shape of a bowl of coffee at Dieppe, did not give us a very good impression, although most of the party were too sleepy to take much notice of it. Neither did our first breakfast really raise our hopes, consisting, as it did, of huge chunks of rather hard roll, which we plastered with butter, and huge cups of coffee (really good this time). It was only at lunch time that we found what French food was really like.

In the Auvergne the food was decidedly better than that in Paris, and the omelettes were enjoyed by all. Our evening meal always took us an hour at least and on the famous occasion at Brioude we exceeded this limit by half an hour, as we had cray fish which, unfortunately, only three of the party enjoyed. The remainder seemed to be put off by seeing one of these queer creatures escaping through the kitchen door. To those three, however, the meal was one of " the " events.

Opposite our hotel in Le Puy was a really good " Patisserie " in which most of the party ate cakes for the best part of the afternoon. Unfortunately the next day, being Sunday, the prices of the cakes were double.

Perhaps our most amusing and certainly most savage meals were those which we had when walking. The hard-boiled eggs were invariably smashed, and the grapes were usually oozing into the cheese, which the hotel chef insisted on our taking. Once we were given a sausage, a hard, knobbly looking thing with string coming out of each end, and a horrible smell. It returned home whole, and we never had another.

Et apres tout cela, nous sommes revenus chez nous. Et nous voici encore-jusqu'a l'annee prochaine !

The World Jamboree, Holland.

THE School contingent to the jamboree consisted of some 45 Scouts and Scouters. Of these, the greater part, 36 Scouts, formed Troop 103 of the British contingent. Mr. G. N. G. Smith was the Scout Master of this Troop. The rest of the School Scouts were in Troop 104 under Mr. A. W. Gaskin. Mr. Gaskin was also the Leader of the Yorkshire West Riding Southern contingent, Troops 103, 104 and 105.

The party left Sheffield, Victoria Station, when Friday, 30th July, was only half an hour old. Before leaving every Scout had received a propelling pencil, three razor blades, a pair of cufflinks and a wallet, the gifts of various Sheffield firms. A farewell speech was delivered by the D.C.C. We arrived at Lincoln at the unearthly hour of half past two and waited for a quarter of an hour for the jamboree" Special," which came from Edinburgh. We had actually waited nearly an hour before the express hove in sight. Some difficulty was experienced in finding seats for the party, but at last we were off, bound for Yarmouth. The train was supposed to reach Yarmouth at 7.0 a.m., but it was nearer 8.0 a.m. before the " fishy " odour one associates with Yarmouth finally reached us,

The next day some of the party visited a tobacco works at Emdhoven, and had some cigarettes and cigars given them. The rest of the party spent the day clearing up. The following morning, at 4.30 a.m., we rose and struck the camp. At 7.30 a.m. we were on the train ready to leave Vogelenzang. We left with very pleasant memories of a very good time. The souvenir hunters were busy on the train, and the boat could not leave until the things they had appropriated had been returned. The crossing was fairly rough, which made it rather an unhappy ending from some of our brethren. We reached Yarmouth at 5.0 p.m., and eventually arrived at Sheffield at 2.30 a.m.

Thus ended a very pleasant holiday which, I am sure, we all enjoyed greatly. We were very fortunate in the weather having had only two showers, whereas after we left, it rained hard for several days, and the camp site was flooded. What would have happened if that had occurred while the jamboree was on does not bear thinking about.

A reunion of the West Riding Southern contingent is being held on Saturday, 4th December, at the School, and it is hoped that pleasant memories will be renewed.

J. E. D. C.

Chatsworth Park Camp.

T HE North of England Schools' and Clubs' Camp was held this year in Chatsworth Park during August Bank Holiday Week. The Camp, which was pitched on an admirable site, was divided into 14 sections, each containing about 14 boys, and having two bell tents allotted to it.

Each morning Reveille sounded at 7.30, but you only got up if you felt like it. The usual practice seemed to be to lie in bed till 8.0, and then fling on some clothes for breakfast. At 9.45 there was kit inspection, in which neatness and ingenuity were the deciding factors. At 10.30 there was P.T., and then at 11.15 games. These consisted mainly of relays, but there was one particularly ferocious game called " foot and hand " (commonly styled " foot and mouth ") which was a sort of netball, and in which personal safety was entirely forgotten. At 1.0 there was dinner (cooked by Army cooks, as P. T. was directed by Army instructors). The afternoon was free, and was often used for challenge matches between sections. I remember we played another section at rugger, and the two people on our side who could play spent the game cursing the rest of us who couldn't, as we repeatedly broke every rule of the game. On Wednesday afternoon we were conducted round Chatsworth House, though unfortunately we were unable to visit the whole of it. Each afternoon there were two bathing parades, one at 2.30 and the other at 5.45, but the pool was rather a long way away, half an hour's walk in fact.

At 5.0 there was " tea and bun," after which we were free again till 7.0, when we had tea. At 7.45 each night there was a concert, followed by a full-length " talkie," which lasted till about 10.30. Lights out followed about 11.0.

On Friday night we had a sing-song round the Camp fire, while the roar of the flames mingled with the roll of distant thunder, but fortunately no rain fell to spoil a week of perfect weather.

On Saturday morning we rose between 5.0 and 6.0 to take down the tents. By 8.30 all the equipment was being loaded on to lorries, and all our new-found friends had departed for home after a very enjoyable week.

A. L.

Sommerferienaustauschgemeinschaftsfahrt, or, Eine neue Harzreise.

THE fifteen boys who left Sheffield on 29th July, arrived in London late that evening, and there met Herr Friedrich and the German boys who had been staying in their homes in Sheffield during July. The combined party left Victoria at 11.0 p.m., made a chilly but uneventful crossing by night boat to Ostend, and arrived in Aachen at about ten the next morning. Here we met Herr Behnke and the party of English and German boys from London, with whom we were to spend the next four weeks. After disorganizing the station staff with our barricades of suit-cases, we toured the city, visited the Town Hall and the Cathedral, ate, talked and retired for the night to the Youth Hostel. In the morning, after rolls and a strange German drink, grey in colour and known as " Tee " in the Jugendherbergen, we joined the train again for Berlin. The journey was hot and the train was crowded, the end of July being the time when the German family is returning from its summer holiday. Consequently our train became later and later, and those who were visiting Germany for the first time already knew by heart their new idiom-" alle Zuge haben zwanzig Minuten Verspatung." From the windows of the train we saw little of interest across the monotonous North German Plain, except that perhaps our German school books that describe Sensen " and " Schnitter and Schnitterinnen " are not for that reason old fashioned. We arrived in Berlin at about six in the evening, and were met by Frau Kausler, Director of Berlin school exchanges. After a short reception we dispersed to our various Berlin homes.

In Berlin we made several Ausfluge, the most interesting being to that delightfully unspoiled town of Potsdam, a town full of the spirit of Frederick and Voltaire. On 5th August we were officially received in the Berliner Rathaus by the municipal authorities of Berlin. We were entertained to tea in the Rathaus, and after speeches and counter-speeches, we were each presented with an Abzeichen of the Nationalverein deutscher Schdleraustausche, which a few devotees still wear in their buttonholes. The other outstanding events in Berlin were a visit to the Pergamon Museum, a day at the Reichsportfeld and a swim in the swimming bath, a Stadtrundfaht, a Rundflug uber Berlin, and a visit to the Tennis Klub Blau-weisz, where we were introduced to Gottfried von Cramm, each of us coming away with his autograph.

Unfortunately we had to say farewell in Berlin to Herr Friedrich we had all hoped he would have come with us to Gottingen, but we had to be content with the hope that we shall see him in Sheffield next year. The journey to Gottingen was hotter than that to Berlin, and just as crowded. One or two of the inexperienced objected to the alles " in " alles einsteigen," and all of us were weary of the habitual announcement of the peculiarity of German trains in having Verspatung. The views of the Harz from the train did not give a foretaste of the delightful scenery we were to appreciate later, and we were glad to reach Gottingen at last.

In Gottingen we were given a civic reception on our second day by the Burgomaster, with the customary speeches and counter-speeches. On our first Monday we settled down to the serious business of the Ferienlager, with an hour's German conversation a day, a daily hour of songs and music with the German boys, and daily games of football, " Handball," and " Leichtathletik " with the Germans. They usually beat us at games ; organized efficiency defeated dashing inexperience nearly every time ; but we enjoyed it all just as much as they did. Of an afternoon we swam in the Freibad, or played tennis between the thundershowers. During our three weeks in Gottingen, it was noticeable how quickly the English cloak of reticence fell off the entire party. We all advanced with alacrity from the elementariness of " Bitte, zweimal Helles, ja ? " to a state of intimacy with German idiom on having " uns eine Zigarre angepasst " for being too frequent with the former. Kay raised the prestige of our party when he argued on the culture of Germany, or on Fascism (Bitte sehr, aug Deutsch, naturlich) and Bennett amused both Germans and English with his whimsical witticisms. Even the youngest rapidly learned how to say " Bin auch Fremder hier," and learned why " Die alte Fink " is feminine.

From Gottingen we made several whole-day motor-coach excursions. The first was through the western Harz and Walken­ried to Goslar, one of the many wonderfully preserved mediaeval towns of Germany. Our time was unfortunately too short to appreciate fully the exquisite 16th century paintings in the Town Hall, the Marktplatz, Brusttuchhaus, Kaiserhaus, Siemenshaus, and the fine old streets of the town. Our second trip was through the south-western Harz to Kassel, Karlshafen an der Weser, Hannoversch-Munden, and back over a Reichsautobahn. The third was by Holzbrennerautobus-a bus run on gas given off by smoulder­ing wood, a new German invention-to Braunlage, from where we saw the Brocken, and on to Hildesheim and Brunswick. Hildes­heim is a town in which to spend a summer holiday one day ; the most charming example of mediaeval wealth and culture imaginable. The cathedral and its bronze castings, the Michaelis­kirche in its unique romanesque style, and even the Umgestulpter Zuckerhut are all too magnificent to be described here. Our fourth was just a Harzreise, with a call for tea at the residence of Hans Grimm, of " Blubo " or " Blut and Boden " fame, and an inspection of an Arbeitslager on the return journey, where we were all surprised by the military precision with which the camp is run. In Gottingen itself we were shown over the observatory by the Professor, and entertained to an organ recital by one of our Lehrercollegium.

At the end of our three weeks in Gottingen we had a farewell concert and speeches. This third bout of speeches was not of the nature of the others ; it was more in the spirit in which the whole exchange had been carried out, punctuated by Herr Behnke's remarks displaying a mastery of English slang. If we had not discovered it before, we felt on that evening a comprehension of the warmth of the German heart. Both sides entered freely into the spirit of Auld Lang Syne at the end.

The next day it was packing, struggling into the train with enormous suit-cases for which there was no room on the racks, and no luggage van in which to put them-why can't one do that freely in Germany?-and excited accounts of encounters and adventures, new friends and acquaintances, Biergarten and Kinos, Spiele and Herumtoben im Schlafzimmer, to while away the long journey home.

A Matter of Nationality

A  FEW months ago, I was walking back from the zoo that was visiting our village, when I was surprised to hear a tremendous din behind me, and, looking round, I saw that I was apparently being pursued by a number of small boys, two keepers, and a policeman on a bicycle. Not being aware of having committed any felony, I decided not to break into a run, but merely to continue my leisurely course, and hope they were chasing some­body else. But soon the policeman caught up with me, rather hot and out of breath, and, as he made no attempt to arrest me, I patiently awaited his recovery. Then I asked what was the matter. A keeper immediately enquired if I had seen an Indian elephant, and wondering why he should run after me to ask that, I replied that of course I had. This brought an exclamation of relief from the policeman and keepers, but when they asked " Where ? " and I told them "At the zoo," to my surprise, they made a few uncom­plimentary remarks, and dashed off again. Their hasty actions aroused my curiosity, so, by a few questions, I elucidated from two small boys the fact that an Indian elephant was missing from the zoo. Musing over that information, and thinking out the smart replies I ought to have made to the keepers' rude remarks, I con­tinued my journey.

On arriving at the next village, I saw that another zoo which was there was staying only one more day. I decided to visit it, and, paying my sixpence, I joined the crowd inside. I was strolling round the sideshows when suddenly I had a brainwave. Perhaps the owner of this show had stolen the elephant ! I hastened round to the animal section. I arrived at the elephant enclosure. It was empty.

That rather upset my calculations. Still, not wishing to have my journey in vain, I cautiously approached the manager's caravan, and there I was at last rewarded. Two people were speaking. " Well," said one, " it ought to be in our hands by now." " Oh ? " replied the other. " What were your arrangements ? " " Well, ; came the answer, " the girl was to obtain a ride on the elephant ; then, one of our men in their camp was to tell the keeper his manager wanted him, and volunteer to lead the elephant himself. All being well, he should then lead the elephant out of the back of the field to a van which would be nearby. They would not be seen because of the hoardings that have been erected. Then to-night, it will be left fastened to the old oak tree on the moor. It will just replace the African one we lost." I crept away, light in heart, and

immediately went to the police station, where I at last managed to convince the stolid constable that there was some truth in what I said, and he promised to get another constable and a sergeant to go that night and arrest the girl and the man, and to capture the elephant. Then I went home.

Later I returned to the next village to see what should come of my information, and I decided to watch the zoo, thinking I might perhaps succeed in stopping the manager from escaping when he found that his plans had miscarried. I crept up to the caravan and listened. " Well," I heard, " things have come off so far. The girl and the man are miles away by now, and our keepers should be here with the elephant any minute." Silence fell. Then suddenly I heard a shout. I retreated a little. " It's come," said a voice. I looked. It had.

Sad at heart, I returned to the police station, and waited for the police to return from their useless search, and, to be prepared this time, I thought out devastating replies to any sarcastic remarks which might be made by the constable. But when the men arrived they did not seem at all annoyed. In fact they seemed as pleased as policemen on duty possibly can. I enquired the result of their search.

"Ah," said the sergeant, " we found it. But it wasn't where you said it would be, and it wasn't tied up. You see, when we had looked near the oak, we came nearer to the village than before, and there it was ; only it wasn't an Indian elephant, but an African, and there was no girl and no young man."

G. S. H.

R. H. FOGGITT, swimming for the Sheffield Schools Swimming Association at Leeds, was in the breast-stroke team which won the Sheffield Independent Trophy. Only one yard behind the winner, he was within sight of winning the 100 yards breast-stroke championship of Yorkshire for his age.


LORD, what a cold I've got to-night !
L Quinine in hand, I try to write
On Summer with its pleasure fled
As I lie here with aching head,
At Misery's shrine an acolyte.
How can I sing in verses light
Of landscapes soaked in sunshine bright
When icy agues through me spread ?
Lord, what a cold !

Though Stratford did my heart delight,
And Cornwall's-beauty thrilled my sight,
Though theatre hours with pleasure sped,
And I on splits-and-cream have fed­
Did these ward off the winter's spite ?
Lord, what a cold !

J. B. H.

Tantaene Animis Caelestibus Irae?

BORN '34 and still going strong-Monday nights still see the worshipful Discussion Group sitting in solemn consultation under the wise and inspiring chairmanship of Mr. Petter. Of him we shall say more anon. The first meeting of Term was, let us be frank, neither intellectually nor spiritually inspiring. Mr. Stoecker delivered a stirring oration of which, strange to say, the meeting took not the slightest regard. Instead, it wrangled furiously, trying to decide what exactly was under discussion. Eventually however, in spite of loud protests from certain members -no names-the meeting dictated an enormous list of authors, whose books should have been in the Library. After fleeting references to the Education Committee, to the scarcity of the Library Funds, and to Mr. Clay, the meeting broke up.

Another more profitable discussion was on Free Schools. Mr. Titchmarsh and Mr. Helliwell, who had visited Mr. Neill's School, commented on the excellent work that it was doing in the reforma­tion of reprobates. Mr. Stoecker regretted that he had only been at the School a year, but he was able to give the meeting much interesting information about practical details. The general opinion of the meeting was that Mr. Neill's system was of more value to " cases " than to the " average boy," who did not appear to have suffered greatly from his treatment at this School.

By far the most interesting discussion was that on " Pacificism." It was marked by the unnecessary violence of Mr. Griffith ; the extreme passiveness of his henchman Mr. Guite ; the superior cynicism of Mr. Stoecker ; the conscientious quibbling of Mr. Chare ; the irrepressible irrelevancies of Mr. Williams ; and the vain appeals to the Chair by Mr. Harrison, the Trimmer. That brings us to Mr. Petter, for whom we can write nothing but paeans of praise. His tactful spirit of scrupulous fairness misconstrued by some, we regret, as ignorance of the proceedings and unscrupulous equivocation-together with a firm hand and resolute tone have bred a spirit of respect and fear for the Chair. It is that spirit, prevalent throughout all the Group; that has added so much to the interest and zest of the discussions. Indeed, only those who have already been presented by nature with the gift of all knowledge can afford to stay away from the sessions of the Sixth Form Dis­cussion Group.




Burley won the toss and elected to kick towards the wood. The School pressed strongly at first, but the visitors soon settled down and retaliated ; the School defence however, with Burley playing his usual stalwart game, was still on top. The first goal came after about a quarter of an hour's play, when Burley after a brilliant run, scored with a great shot from the edge of the penalty area. The visitors soon replied with a goal by Thirsk, which was quickly followed by a goal scored by Smith, D. S. B., who ran in and beat Bolsover with a low shot. The School was now playing well, and it was in accordance with the run of the play when Downing ran through the opposing defence and pushed the ball into the net. However, Thirsk, the opposing centre-forward, again beat the School defence and scored.

Half-time :-School, 2 ; F. T. Saville's XI, 3.

After the interval the visitors pressed strongly and the School defence was unable to hold the opposing forwards, who were playing very well together. Three more goals were soon added by Pearson, Fulford and Holden, the School back, who, in trying to intercept a hard shot from Melling, inadver­tently deflected the ball past Bolsover, who, incidentally had played very well in the School goal.

Final score :-School, 2 ; F. T. Saville's XI, 6.

The teams were :-School : Bolsover, Holden, Sorby, Buckley, Burley Wheatley, Shooter, Rhodes, Downing, Powell, Fowlston. Mr. F. T. Saville's XI : Saville, Wall, Howarth, Hayhurst, Parker, Mr. Waterhouse, Melling, Pearson, Thirsk, Fulford, Smith.

J. H. W.


Played at Whiteley Woods on Saturday, 9th October. The Outcasts turned up three men short and Fowlston, Gebhard and Smith, J. A. played as their left-wing. The School won the toss and kicked towards the wood but the Outcasts soon scored owing to a misunderstanding between three of the School's defenders, who were all going for the ball. Fowlston and Gebhard were playing very well for the Outcasts and the second goal was due to their skill. Fowlston received a nice pass from Gebhard, slipped the ball inside and the centre-forward crashed it home.

Half-time : K.E.S. 0, Outcasts 2.

The School were still very subdued, the Outcasts were using direct methods with their heavier side, but it was the School who next scored. A run from Powell on the top wing resulted in his scoring with a cross-shot. The Outcasts soon scored again, and although the School tried hard to reply they were unable to do so.

Final score : K.E.S. 1, Yorkshire Outcasts 3.


Played at Whiteley Woods on Saturday, 23rd October. The School won the toss and kicked towards the copse. Woodhouse were unsettled from the start, and it was not long before the School were two goals up, Downing and Rollin putting the School on top. The play became rather slack owing to poor finishing by the forwards, but before half-time, Rhodes and Rollin had made the School's advantage more secure.

Half-time : K.E.S. 4, Woodhouse 0.

Woodhouse tried hard at the beginning of the second half, but the School defence held them off. The School forwards looked more dangerous now and Wheatley scored a good goal from an opening made by Ledingham. Woodhouse scored at last with a good shot from the right wing, but there was no longer any doubt about the issue of the game. Downing completed a good movement just before the whistle blew.

Final score : K.E.S. 6, Woodhouse G.S. 1. K.E.S. v. CRANWELL.

Played at Whiteley Woods on Saturday, 30th October. This was the first time this season that the School played on a heavy ground and when Cranwell's team, looking more like heavyweight boxers arrived, hopes were not too high. However, the School were undoubtedly the better side in every other respect. The scoring was opened in the first five minutes. The Cranwell goal-keeper was too fond of running out, and as the ball went out to Ledingham on the left-wing, he hooked the ball into the net behind the goalie. The same player added a second, and Downing scored a third.

Half-time : K.E.S. 3, Cranwell 0.

The heaviness of the ground was telling on the lighter School side and the standard of play was deteriorating. They kept up the attack however, and Rhodes and Powell scored further goals. The School's defence kept out Cranwell until the last five minutes, when the visitors' left-wing scored with a low shot just inside the post.

Final score : K.E.S. 5, Cranwell 1.


Played at Repton on Saturday, 6th November. Terrible rumours had been passed round concerning Repton's " last twenty minutes". The ground was large and against other teams Repton often scored several goals towards the end. The game started at a very fast pace, and the School soon found that for the first time they had room to move about and room to mark their men. Rollin opened the score with a long shot which dropped over the goal-keeper's hands. Repton were considerably faster than the School, but keen tackling by the defence prevented breakaways.

Half-time : K.E.S. 1, Repton 0.

Soon after half-time Repton equalised with a shot which glanced off the post. The School were lasting very well and Rhodes put them ahead again. Repton equalised with another shot off the post ; and then the " last twenty minute " spell began. But the School was by no means beaten. They not only staved off attacks, but managed to round off an exceedingly good game by scoring through Powell the winning goal.

Final score : K.E.S. 3, Repton 2.


Played at Rotherham on Saturday, 20th November. This was one of the School's worst games. Downing had been dropped for Shooter but the change did not solve the problem. The forwards would not shoot ; and the kick-and-rush methods of Rotherham paid on their small and very narrow ground. The School lost the toss and although they were attacking for most of the time, did not open the scoring. Rotherham rushed up the field in one of their disconcerting attacks and the centre forward drove the ball wide of Bolsover. Rotherham soon scored again from another rush, but the School continued to have the better of play in mid-field.

Half-time : K.E.S. 0, Rotherham 2.

The School should certainly have won in this half, and the poor finishing of the forwards had to be seen to be believed. Time after time they were inside the penalty area but no one would drive the ball home. Rotherham scored two more goals by the same methods and won comfortably what was a very disappointing match-from the School's point of view.

Final score : K.E.S. 0, Rotherham 4.


Played at Bootham, Wednesday, 24th November. The ground was slippery and as the School lost the toss they had to face a slight breeze. The opening play was very fast and equal, with the School pressing for the most time. Then rather unexpectedly the Bootham outside-left slipped in a shot along the ground wide of Bolsover to open the scoring. The School still continued to have more of the ball than their opponents, but Bootham forced a corner and when the ball came out, a very fine cross-shot was sent in which scored Bootham's second goal. From the kick-off the School attacked and Rhodes started a nice movement which ended in Rollin calmly dribbling round the back and placing the ball low and wide of the Bootham goalkeeper.

Half-time : K.E.S. 1, Bootham, 2.

The second half started even faster than the first, the School still having the better of the exchanges, with the Bootham forwards making occasional dangerous raids from which nothing, however, resulted. Half way through the second half the School equalised through Rhodes who fired in a cross-shot which completely beat the goalkeeper ; and soon afterwards the Bootham left-back had the misfortune to turn a centre from Ledingham into the bottom corner with the 'keeper helpless. The School held on to this lead and so staged a very good recovery from being two goals down to winning 3-2.

Final score : K.E.S., 3, Bootham, 2.


Played at Whiteley Woods, Saturday 27th November. The School won the toss and kicked towards the stream. Play was very even and fast until after half an hour Pearson put Gray through who opened the score for the Old Boys. The School were finding their men with their passes better than the Old Boys, but the shooting was very poor.

Half time : K.E.S., 0, O.E.'s., 1..

At the beginning of the second half the School over-ran their opponents, but Sivil and the two backs would not allow the forwards to score. Then, from a throw-in Gray took the ball round four or five of the School players and shot from less than ten yards. The School attacked again and soon Wheatley shot from outside the penalty area, with the Old Boys' goal-keeper unsighted and the ball went into the goal just inside the post. The play was still keen when Pearson received an overhead pass and shot the ball low down in the corner, with Bolsover helpless. The Old Boys were then pressing very hard and Bolsover brought off several fine saves, and prevented the Old Boys scoring again. Although the School lost, they were by no means disgraced.

Final score : K.E.S., 1, O.E's., 3.

Team.-Old Edwardians : Levi, Hornsby, Thirkhill, Graham, E. W. Sivil, Walton, Williams, V. R. Sivil, Pearson, Gray, Parker. School : Bolsover, Holden, Sorby, Buckley, Chare, Wheatley, Powell, Rhodes, Downing, Rollin, Ledingham.


Played at Whiteley Woods on 1st December. Bolsover lost the toss and the School kicked towards the wood. The School started off with a rush straight from the kick-off and Rollin soon scored after a scramble in the goalmouth. Lincoln were completely outplayed and goals were frequent. Powell scored from a lovely left-footed hook. Downing headed a corner. Buckley back-heeled a free-kick in the goalmouth which Wheatley banged home. Powell and Downing scored again and Rhodes added another just before half-time.

Half-time : K.E.S., 7, Lincoln, 0.

The School still continued to attack but the play was more even than in the first-half. The forwards played much better than they had ever done before, and very few passes went astray. Ledingham and Powell added further goals.

Final score : K.E.S., 9, Lincoln, 0.


Played at Whiteley Woods, December 4th. This match will go down in history because of the School's brilliant recovery. Bolsover lost the toss and the School faced the blinding snow. Straight from the kick-off the School were away and except for atrocious shooting would have been two or three goals up in the first few minutes. Then the Falcons started : they forced a corner and after a short scramble the centre-forward whipped in a ground shot. The Falcons again attacked and the right-wing sent in a beautiful cross shot which went in off the far post. The School forwards could not get going with the Falcon's centre-half, Barber, completely stopping them.

Half-time : K.E.S. 0, Falcons 2.

It was still snowing ; and after a very brief half-time the Falcons scored again through the School's defence not playing to the whistle. Then came the transformation. The backs started tackling well. The halves sent through cunning passes and the forwards started working together. Downing was using his head extremely well and it was he who scored the first two goals. Ledingham got the next with a shot which dropped over Saville's hands. Downing then scrambled a fourth home and Powell who was playing very well indeed on the top wing obtained a fifth. During the closing minutes the Falcons pressed very hard and shot again and again. One hit the post, another the bar and Buckley headed out a certain goal. But the defence held firm till the end.

Final score : K.E.S. 5, Falcons 3.


Played at Ackworth on Wednesday, 17th November. School won the toss and faced the strong wind. The School opened in a fashion which predicted victory ; long, . accurate passes kept Ackworth defending in a manner that boded well for K.E. Then an unselfish pass, for Shooter to hit with a force that made onlookers gasp, was made by Moffat. Ackworth were still defending, but succeeded in breaking away occasionally. Suddenly a snap goal by Ackworth. Then another, unfortunate this time, the wind defeating Newton's judgment.

Half-time : K.E.S. 1, Ackworth, 2.

This score was by no means on the run of the play. In the second half when play became rather scrappy Ackworth scored four goals by clever shots resulting from very mediocre mid-field defence work. In reply a goal was breasted in by Fowlston after some scuffling in the mid-field and goal­mouth. The School defence fought back pluckily, but the standard of Ackworth's football was superior in every way. The final whistle came with­out further score.

Final score : K.E.S. 2, Ackworth, 6.

Junior School Football.

THE weather this season has been so kind to us that it was not until early December that we missed our first half-holiday games at Whiteley Woods.

It would, however, be idle to pretend that our standard of football is as high as in former years. We note with regret an ever-growing non-compulsory list ; largely owing to this it has been impossible to hold the House 3rd XI competition. It is also noticeable that numbers of the J.2's hang about the roads near the School after afternoon school, while exercise more healthful to mind and body awaits them oh the School Close. The second game there, which used to be a complete one, now rarely consists of more than five or six boys.

In consequence we begin our season with an XI which is extremely inexperienced, and, while still learning, it must face older teams in outside fixtures. Its progress, as shown by the results in Saturday games with 2nd form teams from the Middle School, has been remarkably good. It was decisively beaten 6-0 by the full might of 2A early in the Term, but, since that, only 2D has lowered its colours, by 4 goals to 3 ; a defeat for which the absence of our goalkeeper can be held responsible. On every other Saturday the team has won, with increasing effectiveness ; and only recently took a partial revenge by defeating, 4-3, the team of 2A, without their Captain, Oliver. In comparison, its record against other schools has been very poor. Westbourne beat us 7-2 on their ground and 6-2 on ours ; and Birkdale 8-2 away, after we, with only ten men, had led 2-1 at half time ; and by 10-2 at Whiteley Woods. The 2nd XI, playing against Birkdale 2nd XI, lost 0-9 on the School Close, and 4-5 away, showing much improvement and great spirit. But this 2nd XI, drawn entirely from the J.1's, is likely to leave us in July, so that it cannot form a nucleus of next year's 1st XI, as we should like.

House matches for 1st and 2nd XI's are well ahead with their programme. The new House, Osborn, must win the 1st XI cup, having won all their matches, generally by wide margins ; recent improvement by the Angles seems to have come too late to affect the result. The 2nd XI competition is, as usual, more open ; but here again Osborn are in a strong position. The full 3rd XI list will be played off next Term.

So we look forward to the remainder of our football season with hopes for fine weather, no mishaps and ever-increasing skill and enthusiasm for what is, after all, the schoolboy's favourite game. (And his father's too, to judge by our Saturday ' gates ' !)

Fives Notes.

THE Open Singles Championship was won last Term by W. A. Burley, the School Captain ; Williams, R. H. D. was the runner-up. These two were paired together in the Lyn­wood team, which easily won the House Championship.

This Term opened briskly with a match against Heath School, Halifax, on Saturday, 13th November. In the home match the School 1st IV, i.e., Burley and Buckley, 1st pair ; Bolsover and Holden, 2nd pair, lost, the score being 5 games to 7.

The School won 3 out of the first 6 games, and with the School 1st pair playing the Halifax 2nd pair it looked as if a home victory would ensue. Bad luck, however, was against the School after the re-start, and the final score was : K.E.S., 5 games, Heath School, 7 games.

The School 2nd IV lost to Heath School at Halifax, the score being 1-11. The team was : Wheatley and Fletcher, 1st pair ; Fulford and Cotton, 2nd pair.

The return matches with Heath School are being played on Wednesday, 15th December.

Orchestra Notes.

THIS Term we are hard at work on " Iolanthe," which is to be produced early next Term. Gradually the difficulties which it presents are being overcome, and the performance should be a great success.

Our activities this Term also include works that are being played by the full Orchestra, as the Orchestra is being considerably reduced for " Iolanthe." Prominent among this programme is the Finale of Haydn's " Oxford " Symphony, a work simply bubbling over with merriment. We are gradually acquiring the delicacy necessary for a successful performance of it. We have also been hard at work on the "Cachucha " from the " Gondoliers," and " From Tyrant Laws," from Arne's " Comus," in which we shall accompany the School.

Our forces have been increased this Term by Mr. Fletcher's euphonium, Mr. Moles's violin, Mr. Bradley's clarinet and by Coldwell's trumpet, and many recruits have already joined. Incidentally, anyone who can play an instrument should not hide the fact from Mr. Baylis. We shall shortly bid farewell to Mr. H. S. Smith, whose work in the brass section has been greatly appreciated.

No one could doubt the consistent improvement in playing which has been taking place during the last Term. The wood-wind has been consistently good ; the violins have maintained a first-rate ensemble. There is no reason to suppose that the Orchestra will be found wanting at any festival it may compete in during the Summer Term.

D. M. J.

Old Edwardians

WE regret to announce the death, on 17th October, of Major G. E. VERNON (1908-1916), Second in Command of the Hallamshire Battalion of the York and Lancaster Regiment, formerly Assistant Secretary of the Sheffield Chamber of Commerce, and Local Manager of Syviter Smith, Ltd., Technical Advertisers, of Birmingham.

Mrs. HELEN PEARSON, widow of the late Rev. V. W. Pearson, last Headmaster of Wesley College, died on 17th July, at the home of her son in Canada.

The Rev. Dr. K. E. KIRK (S.R.G.S.) has been consecrated as Bishop of Oxford. He has also been installed as Provost of Lancing College, Sussex.

P. FREEMAN (1924-1933) is engaged in relief work in Spain under the Swiss International Voluntary Service for Peace. At Puigcerda, in the Pyrenees, he assists with his knowledge of electrical and water engineering in the organisation of a refugee colony of 500 children evacuated from Madrid.

E. T. WILLIAMS (1928-1931) has been elected to a junior Research Fellowship at Merton College, Oxford.

JAMES LONGDEN (1910-1918) has been elected to the Board of Directors of the Sheffield Wednesday Football Club.

GEORGE A. BOLSOVER (1916-1922), Hon. Secretary of the Old Edwardians' Association, was married on 9th October, to Miss Margaret Crabtree, of Sheffield.

A. L. HORNSBY (B.S.A. Police), writes from his station at Tuli, Southern Rhodesia :­

" I am now in my fourteenth month at this outpost, and I must confess the loneliness has not troubled me so far. I find the main thing is keeping busy, and this, coupled with beasts, reptiles, natives and shooting, effectively prevents my getting bored ! ... Shooting is my favourite sport, and I have a good collection of trophies of the chase. I also depend entirely on my success with the rifle for meat for myself, Native Police, and 'boys' .. .

There was great excitement at Tuli in August, when the African Airmail plane made a forced landing at my emergency ground, quite near my bungalow. There were 18 passengers and crew on board, and you can imagine the scramble in my bachelor quarters. Repairs were effected by the engineers carried on board, and the party left the next day-the first " whites " I had seen for many months."

(Some photographs taken by Hornsby are reproduced on another page).

M. H. TAYLOR has left for Sydney, Australia, to take part in the Empire Games. He has been chosen to swim for England in the Back Stroke Race.


In a letter of this kind it is rather difficult to convey to the reader the extent to which Members of the Club have enjoyed this Season. The results have not been very satisfactory (won 11, lost 13 and drawn 3, while three matches were scratched), but the weather on the whole has been very kind and the experiment of running two teams again has proved fairly successful.

Next season we shall again run two, teams and I would like all Old Edwardians-to-be to know that the Cricket Club exists for their benefit, and new members are constantly needed and will be warmly welcomed.

The Officers appointed for the 1938 Season are :­


1st Team  J. T. BURDEKIN.

2nd Team A. ELLIOTT.

Vice Captains.

1st Team  C. THIRSK.

2nd Team V. G. P. BROUGH.

The news of the death of G. E. Vernon was a sad blow to his friends of the Cricket Club. He had been a playing-member for 16 seasons and had been elected Captain for three seasons. His was a personality which will be missed.

We have been very pleased to welcome the following new members: Boler, S. E.; Dawtry, A. G.; Geach, K. B.; Haycock, K.; Hermitte, G. L. ; Higginbotham, J. ; Melling, F. ; Sivil, R. ; Thomasson, R. ; White, A. and Wollerton, J.

If anyone would like further information about joining the Club, I shall be glad if he will kindly write to me at the address below.

Honorary Secretary.
45, Bank Street, Sheffield, 1.


The Secretary's and Treasurer's reports at the Annual General Meeting evidenced the playing successes and the improved financial position of the Club. I am pleased to say that these standards are being satisfactorily maintained, strengthened as we are by the acquisition of several players who have recently left School. Of these, Gray, S. and Saville, M. V., have shown consistently good form.

The first team under the captaincy of Walton has on the whole had a successful season so far. Its performance in the friendly match with Kelham Theological College which resulted in a draw 4-4 ranks amongst the best in the history of the Club. The standard of football required in the South Yorkshire Amateur League is a high one, and the fact that the team at the moment stands third therein indicates its playing strength. Nine matches, including friendly fixtures, have been played of which four have been won, two drawn and three lost.

The second team is experiencing its first season in the " B " division of the League and has not as yet risen to great heights. Nine matches have been played, of which one has been drawn and the remainder lost. The Committee, however, has every con­fidence that as the season progresses the team will improve. Time is required to build up an eleven capable of succeeding in League Football, which is a much more exacting game than friendly football. Moreover, a proportion of the second team consists of young players, recently left School, who are just overcoming the initial difficulty of acclimatizing themselves to a different type of football. I am firmly convinced that the second eleven will soon be emulating the achievements of the first.

The Club's Annual Dance is to take place on Thursday, 13th January, 1938, and we heartily welcome the attendance of members of the Staff and the School. Tickets may be obtained from the Hon. Secretary, R. Levi, 96, Southgrove Road.

In conclusion, I may say that we are eagerly anticipating our match with the School on the 27th November which, of course, is our premier fixture of the season.

Yours faithfully,
62/64, Fargate, Sheffield, 1.

House Notes.


As several of the more stalwart of the House footballers had left, we were expecting only a moderate season. The House, however, has played up extremely well. Pemberton has blossomed into a good back and Wigley and Fowlston have done their share in the forward line. We beat Haddon quite comfortably, then proceeded to overcome Welbeck and Wentworth.

The crucial match against Clumber was played next, and, with the help of Mr. Smith on the touch-line, and splendid work by everybody, we managed to win 3-1. The 2nd XI have not been doing so well. After drawing one match and winning another, they have lost the other two. The 3rd XI have done well, winning their first three matches 3-2, 13-1, 13-0, but then losing unexpectedly to Clumber.

Prospects for the Sports are quite good. Wheatley, M. F., should bring off two or three of the Under 14 races and the Under 14 Tug-of-War team still has several beefy members. It is with great regret that we hear that Mr. Smith is leaving us. He has done a tremendous lot towards Arundel's successes, and he takes with him our best wishes for a very pleasant future. All boys who have not got their Swimming Certificates for one length of the bath should swim the test as soon as possible.


In spite of the loss of such valuable people as Howarth, Mortimer, Gunn and Sanderson, to whom we all wish the best of luck in their future careers, the House 1st XI has had a very successful term. It has only suffered one defeat, to Clumber, and has won all its other matches by a large margin. The team is on an average comparatively large, and in this respect has an advantage over most of the other Houses, but at the present it is suffering from lack of experience.

The House 2nd and 3rd XI's are doing very well under the very able captaincies of Stevens and Horner respectively. Here again, however, the teams seem to be suffering from inexperience.

The Captain of Swimming is nursing the infelt desire that by the time the Swimming Sports are here again, everybody in the House who is physically able will be able to swim. Now is the time for the boys concerned to be learning, and they would be well advised to pay as much attention as possible to the tuition they receive in their gym. periods. Points are given for every boy in the House who can swim, and so if we are to retain the " Dolphin Shield " for the Champion House for the fourth year in succession it is essential that everybody should be able to swim.

Fives players ought to be getting as much practice in as is possible, in preparation for the House Championship in the summer.


This year our House shows considerable promise. We started our Football season in fine style, all three teams winning both their first two matches. The 1st XI went onto beat Lynwood, and we were feeling justly proud when we received a terrible shock by losing to Arundel 2-0 ; there was really no excuse for this, but we have not lost all hope of the Cham­pionship, for a good goal average could still see us at the top. The 2nd and 3rd XIs' have played up very well, and are both highly placed in their Leagues.

We have several new swimmers in the House this term, but there are still many who could take more advantage of Mr. Kyffin's services. There are a number of people eager to play Fives, and if the courts contrive to live through the winter frosts, we must start practising as soon as the spring light will allow us. Our Scouts are thriving, but would welcome recruits.

By the time this Magazine is published, we hope to have had another successful House Social.

We should like to take this opportunity of welcoming Mr. Brearley to Clumber ; many of you will know by now that, apart from his brilliant Cricket, he can help us in Swimming, Fives and Football.



After a lengthy period of prosperity Haddon is experiencing a temporary slump, the almost inevitable result of losing in so short a time such valuable and long-standing allies as the brothers Gray, Fuller, Lee, the Sivils, Allan and Miles, as well as Collins and Simmonite : to all of whom the House has owed much in recent years.

Thus at Football the 1st XI is suffering at present from lack of weight and of experience, but when some of the junior members of the House are a little older, we may anticipate a return to success.

At Cricket last Term we had a grand game with Welbeck in the final of the knock-outs, which we reached chiefly through the bowling of Fletcher and Woodcock, and the encouraging captaincy of Fuller.

It is to be hoped that Haddon will regard this as the period which every House undergoes, when it must be content to relinquish its prominent athletic position for a while. It is from all you Middle-School people that enthusiasm and hard work is needed, even whilst there seems all too little to show for it, because you will find yourselves responsible for the success of the Senior House XI's before you know where you are.



We were extremely sorry to lose M. V. Saville at the end of last Term. He has always shown himself a cheerful and helpful Head of the House. W. A. Burley however, has proved himself a worthy successor as Head of the House and Captain of Football. As was to be expected, he has been the mainstay of the House 1st XI in all its matches this Term. The first two matches, against Welbeck and Wentworth respectively, were won in convincing fashion. An exciting and very even game against Clumber spoiled our record. We still, however, have a chance to win the Football Cup, as Clumber have since been defeated by Arundel. The 2nd and 3rd XI's also spoiled their good records by losing to the respective Clumber teams. Otherwise the 3rd XI particularly has played extremely well. The Christmas Term will soon be over, and the Cross-country and Sports on us again. Every member in the House should make an effort to run and to train adequately. Mr. Bradley is always ready to give advice on training.


It was with great regret that we said good-bye to Mr. Glister at the end of last Term. He came to the House at a critical time, for during Mr. Watkins's long illness much had been neglected, and we feel that it was chiefly due to his unflagging energy that the House made such a good recovery. We wish him all good fortune in his work at Derby, and at the same time extend a hearty welcome to his successor, Mr. Hickox. We were sorry to lose Cotton, Pashley and other members of the House who left at the end of last Term, and take this opportunity of wishing them good luck in their work.

The House Football has been very keen this Term and has met with some measure of success. The 1st XI have had some very close games and the 3rd XI have done very well.


It would be distinctly untruthful to say that Welbeck Football has been up to standard this term. The team this term has been younger than usual, but it has hardly less talent, and should have been capable of

winning at least some of its matches. The whole team has been a pitiful display of lack of co-operation. The forwards have given masterly displays of dribbling while standing in a row, stock still, and the defence remarkable exhibitions of lack of cohesion. We have not the stars we have had in the past, and co-operation is more important now than ever before. The same, sad, melancholy state of affairs exists in the 2nd and the 3rd. Next term we shall want runners and swimmers as well, so pull yourselves together, Welbeck.

We are losing Long this term. As Captain of Football he has been invaluable and we shall greatly miss him ; but we do extend to him our heartiest best wishes for success in his new sphere.


At the beginning of the Term the prospects of the 1st XI were quite rosy, but within a few weeks Newton, maj. and Leeson maj. had left, and our hopes of a good season were more or less dashed. Since then we have fared moderately, Buckley being a tower of strength. The 2nd XI's record is not unsatisfactory ; while the 3rd XI is hopeless. Surely it is time that we had three teams at once who could consistently be relied upon to win at least every other match. The low attendance in the 3rd XI suggests the matter should be investigated, and if necessary, severely dealt with. Although as usual, there is a dearth of Sixth-formers in the House, at the end of the scale new blood continues to flow, and we hope that the Second and Third-formers new to the House will back up Wentworth in every way possible, particularly in games, Football, Swimming, etc. All those who cannot swim should see Newton, min., and have learnt to swim by the end of next term if possible. Every boy in the House who is physically able to swim must learn to do so. And finally, do not forget the Cross-country and Sports next term. A good turnout from the lower ranks is essential, and, having been runners up in the Under 14 Cross-country for the last two years, why not take first place this year. It's up to you, don't forget !