A PUBLIC Lecture was delivered under the auspices of the S.R.G.S. Literary and Scientific Society, on Wednesday, November 18th, 1896, by Dr. Latham, on "The Isle of Man." The chair was taken, at 8 p.m., by the Headmaster, in the presence of a large audience, and he called upon Dr. Latham to give his lecture. The Lecturer took his audience upon an imaginary tour across the island, illustrating many points of interest and beauty, and also many of the Runic crosses for which the island is celebrated. Some of the views shown were exceptionally pretty, and all were above the average.

The proceedings were terminated by a vote of thanks, proposed by Mr. Archer and seconded by A. E. Dunstan, to Dr. Latham for his able and interesting lecture, to Mr. Senior for taking the chair, and to Mr. Whiteley for manipulating the lantern.

The eighth General Meeting was held, on Wednesday evening, January 29th, 1897, Dr. Latham in the chair.

In accordance with custom, Middleton, by leaving the school, vacated his seat on the committee, and Mitchell and Lister, after an animated discussion, were elected to fill the vacancies.

Barnes and Walker were proposed by the Secretary and seconded by Preston, as assistant secretaries, in place of Middleton and Glauert. This was carried.

The Chairman then called upon Barnes to read his paper on ~° North Polar Exploration," which, after giving a historical survey of the many unsuccessful attempts to reach the Pole, and relief expeditions sent out to help them, went on to discuss Nausea's recent work in that direction at length. His paper was illustrated by limelight views.

The meeting terminated with a vote of thanks to Barnes, proposed by Dunstan, seconded by Mr. Blandy, and to Dr. Latham for taking the chair.

The ninth Ordinary Meeting was held in the third class room, Mr. Overend in the chair. The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed. The Chairman then called upon Mr. L. Glauert to open a debate on " Made in Germany." He proposed that (' Goods can be made as cheaply and well in Germany as in England." Seconded by 0. Glauert. Opposed by Preston, who with a few brief remarks criticised Mr, Glauert's statements. Then Coupe spoke, followed by Walker, who also confined himself to repudiating and exposing Mr. Glauert's statements. May, Twigg, and Glauert spoke, and, as it was past nine o'clock, it was proposed by 0. Glauert and seconded by Twigg, " That the house should adjourn at 9.30 p.m.; " carried. Then Mr. L. Glauert replied to the arguments of his opposers. The Chair­man made a few remarks concerning the ungentlemanly interruptions made by members, and then put the motion, which was lost. For the motion, 3 ; against, 9. The meeting terminated with a vote of thanks to Mr. Overend.

A public lecture was delivered under the auspices of the society on Wednesday, February 24th, 1897. Further particulars will be found in another part of the magazine.     W. G. W.

St. Stephen's House, Oxford.

My Dear Mr. Editor,-For some reason the Cantabs seem to have monopolised the usual 'Varsity letter in the " Magazine" for their own chronicles, whereas the older and superior University has apparently in accordance with her dignity refrained from making known the inmost feelings of her heart. Still I think it is not altogether good policy that Oxford should be forgotten in a land where most people look to Cambridge as the source of all that is good, and therefore this short epistle may serve as a reminder that the S.R.G.S. has representatives at Oxford as well as her sister `Alma Mater.' 

Perhaps the subject which has for some weeks been absorbing the attention of all boating men and others is the Torpids, which came off this week. If the style of the rowing was not quite up to that of former years, it must be attributed to the fact that coaching from the towing-path, in consequence of the floods, was practically impossible, except from horse-back. But not a few riders soon found themselves swimming in the middle of the river, and their steeds as well, instead of hurling anathemas at the respective crews. However, the floods abated just before the "Toggers" came on, and some good races were seen. At the time of writing (which is one day before the close of the races) Balliol is head of the river, having got the Eton stroke to row for them, Magdalen is second, Trinity taking third place,-the last mentioned with a first-rate crew having made a bump nearly every night. New College, which erstwhile had the proud honour of being top boat both in the II Toggers " and " Eights," has now yielded her much coveted place ; it remains to be seen if she will do the same in the "Eights" next term.

This season we have beaten Cambridge, both in the " Soccer " and " Rugger" matches, and we trust it is not too much to expect that our usual success in the 'Varsity boat race will be continued this year. We have a good crew, heavier than Cambridge, and they ought to give a good account of themselves at Putney on April 3rd.

Last term the Prince of Wales and various members of the Royal Family honoured us with a visit, when the noble army of "bugshooters" (correctly called the ' Oxford University Rifle Corps') turned out as a guard of honour. It was not a little trying for one of our men to be pointed at by a mother with a child in her arms, whose attention she requested to " that fine big soldier," who was doing his level best to look as military as possible

Of the men up here now, Senior is at Balliol, whose name I trust will shortly appear under " Classics I.," and to whom I am sure all present members of the Grammar School will tender their best wishes, just when he is about to sit for his examination. Buckler is at Wycliffe Hall, devoting his attention to Theology, having relinquished his morbid tastes in Science. Now that he is a graduate, he looks decidedly becoming in his long flowing gown, but I fear we shall lose him next term, as he has found a curacy at Dover.

Let us hope that Sheffield will send us up a few more representatives "to keep the kettle going"; and in the meantime wishing every good fortune to the school.          `

Believe me, yours sincerely,


JAMES I., of England, and VI. of Scotland, the only son of Queen Mary and Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, was born in Edinburgh, on the 19th of June, 1566. James was crowned at Stirling, July 29th, 1567. The Earl of Mar was appointed his governor, and the Castle of Stirling was fixed upon for his home. James was educated by Erskine, the brother of the Earl of Mar; but when be reached four years of age, George Buchanan was his tutor. This Buchanan was extremely strict and severe in his method of ruling, but under him James became a good classical scholar.

When thirteen years old, James took the reins of the government into his own hands. This was the year 1579. Even at this time he showed his love for favourites, one of whom now was the Earl of Arran. This Arran was the worst type of man possible, and disgusted the people by his deeds, At last, a party of nobles, headed by the Earl of Gowrie, determined to rescue James from his clutches. A conspiracy was formed, and the conspirators, having got possession of the castle at Ruthven, dismissed Arran and took the government into their own bands. James, though he pretended to be pleased with his new governors, was really extremely indignant at the treatment which Arran had received, and at the restraint which the Earl of Gowrie exercised upon him. After the lapse of ten months, he succeeded in shaking off their authority.

As soon as he became his own master, lie played his role well for a little time ; but his ill-used favourite, Arran, returned at this time to court, and once more James was wrapped up in him. At Arran's command the Earl of Gowrie was slain and his comrades banished. The tyranny of Arran became intoler­able; once more he was banished from court, and deprived of his titles and estates in October, 1585.

A year afterwards (October, 1586) Mary, the mother of James, was brought to trial, and was beheaded February 7th, 1587, after being in prison for twenty years. James made exertions to save her, and though lie expressed great resentment at her death, yet he was unwilling to risk the loss of his pension, and also his succession to the English throne. He soon, however, allowed himself to be pacified by the artful apologies of Elizabeth.

In 1589 James was married to Princess Anne, daughter of Frederick, King of Denmark. Leaving Robert Bruce of Kinnaird in charge of the kingdom, James proceeded to Upsala, in Norway, to meet his bride, who after having put to sea was driven back by a storm to the same place, and there the marriage was solemnized. James remained in Denmark for six months, enjoying every kind of luxury. On May 20th, 1590, he returned to his kingdom, and found that under Robert Bruce the country had enjoyed tranquillity. But Francis Stuart, Earl of Bothwell, broke into this tranquillity by attacking Holyrood Castle and setting fire to the apartments. This attack took place on the 27th December, 1591. Bothwell made another attempt against the King at Falk­land. He was assisted by Arran, who had returned. This attempt succeeded, and James was obliged to obey their commands, so his chief ministers were dismissed, and the traitor Arran given a free pardon. Bothwell and the Roman Catholics had been at strife between themselves; this, however, was at an end, and with both their armies joined together they crushed the royal army, which had been sent against them, at Glenlivet, in Aberdeenshire. highly incensed, James went in person with another army and in turn crushed Bothwell's. Bothwell himself was exiled.

After this there seemed to be a general peace ; but James got into trouble with the Presbyterian clergy, one of whom, David Black by name, called him "the Devil's own bairn." James, furious at this insult, called Black to his Privy Council, and Black was dismissed beyond the Tay. Elizabeth, on 24th of March, 1603, died, so James came into her inheritance. Starting from Edinburgh he reached London on the 7th of May, and was welcomed by great crowds with demonstrations of joy. After a few weeks of reign, an obscure conspiracy, called 0° Raleigh's Plot," took place. The object of this conspiracy was to place the Lady Arabella Stuart on the throne. The conspirators were discovered and the plot prevented. In 1694 James bad the Prayer Book revised, and in the same year gave leave to Alderman Smith to found the Grammar School, Sheffield.       

W. A. V.

IN the evening of February 24th, Mr. Overend gave a lecture on " Some Coal Products." Dr. Latham took the chair, and an appreciative audience appeared, which one would have liked to see larger.

The Lecturer began by expressing his thanks to an old pupil of his, Mr. Gordon Miller, of the famous firm of Tar Distillers, of Glasgow, for many specimens of Dyes, &c, which were shown ; to Mr. L. T. O'Shea, of Firth College, for the excellent Lantern Slides; to the Sheffield United Gas Company, for specimens of Coal, Coke, Gas purification products, &c. ; and to his numerous assistants.

Coal was said to be the remains of vegetation, which had at one time been at the earth's surface, and in this connection a picture was thrown on the screen, and much admired, of a forest with the luxuriant vegetation of the Carboniferous Period. The gradually increasing use of coal as fuel in England from its possible introduction in Roman times, was mentioned, but the Lecturer went on to say that the chief business of the meeting was to examine some of the many things got in the destructive distillation of coal. A small gas works was then set going on the table, and pictures of the real thing shown on the screen. In illustration of the purification of the gas, two experiments were shown of the extreme solubility of Ammonia, and a short sketch was given of the history of gas as a means of illumination from its intro­duction by Murduch, in 1792.

Tar was then mentioned, and an experiment in illustration of Fractional Distillation performed. The interesting change in the value of Tar from the days when it was given away at the gas works, was spoken of, and the various uses to which the products of its distillation have been put, described. Amongst them we noticed the " pickling " of timber, introduced in 1838, which, the Lecturer said, now used the greatest portion of the tar products.

The story of the discovery of Benzene by Faraday, in 1825, and of the arrival of Hoffmann in England, and his proof of its existence in the " Light" oils, introduced the audience to Perkin, Hoffmann's pupil, whose experiment with Aniline was shown, and a strip of wool success­fully dyed with "Mauve," the first of many dyes since produced from Aniline, Toluidine, Carbolic Acid, Napthalene, and Anthracene. Many of these were shown, and their beauty in solution, and in the dyed patterns sent by Mr. Miller was generally admired. One of the con­cluding experiments, and the one which was most appreciated by a large section of the audience, showed effectively by means of Picric Acid the use of some Coal Products as explosives.

The experimental part of the lecture was well and carefully managed by Walker, Glauert, Allison, and Hahn, and Sergeant Lound, assisted by Haslam, made the Lantern part of the entertain­ment a success.

Dr. Latham called on Mr. Hodgetts to propose a vote of thanks, who, in doing so, referred to the trouble such a lecture must have cost Mr. Overend and his assistants; and the Head Master said he was glad to second the vote.

In acknowledging the vote, Mr. Overend advised his audience to read " Coal, and what we get from it," by Professor Meldola.

Dear Sir,

On perusing your last I was grievously vexed
Anent certain terms therein used and expressed ;
For such sentiments, surely, must come as a shock
To the finely wrought works of a well-balanced clock.
That my rate has been somewhat unsteady of late
Is a question I am not prepared to debate ;
But I beg that the sentence may still be deferred
Till the case for defendant has duly been heard.
In that very same issue his feelings compel
One sapient scribe to refer to a bell
As the emblem of discord, and worry, and strife:
And to scout the idea of directing one's life
By a bell. Then consider the feelings of one
Who for years has been made to conform to a gun
Some wretched old smooth-bore, or swivel at best,
That is wont every night to break in on my rest.
And if this were not reason sufficient, and more,
For the slight aberration that's laid at my door ;
Reflect on the sights I'm to witness compelled,
The sounds I have heard, and the smells I have smelled
Why, merely to mention that Hydric Sulphide
Raises qualms in the depths of one's tender inside.
Then that seismic disturbance that lately took place !­
Well, I think I've established a very good case.
In brief, when you find me too slow or too fast,
Reflect on the trials through which I have passed
The Hydric Sulphide, and the earthquake shock ;
And refrain from condemning
Yours truly,

(A Paper by A. E. BARNES, read before the Literary and Scientific Society, on January 27th, 1897.)

THE first Polar expedition which attracts any attention was undertaken by Henry Hudson, in the year 1607, A company of London merchants employed him to find a near way to the East Indies by going over the Pole. They furnished him with a small vessel, manned by 11 men and one boy-the boy being Hudson's son. In this small vessel he coasted along the East of Greenland, and then touched Spitzbergen, and went due North. He thus managed to reach latitude 81 deg. 30 min., or within 82 deg. of the Pole.

In 1670 a Dutch expedition tried to find a near way from Europe to the East Indies, They went North along the East coast of Greenland, but did not effect any result.

There were no expeditions worthy of mention until 1806, when Captain Scoresby, with his son as chief mate, followed Hudson's route in the ship " Resolution." They managed to reach latitude 81 deg. 12 min. 42 sec.

The next explorer worthy of mention is Sir Edward Parry. He took part in five expeditions. In 1818, under Sir John Ross, he was entrusted with the command of the ship " Alexander," Ross himself commanding the " Isabella." Their object was to find the North-west Passage, which has since been discovered. Ross and Parry, however, did not go very far. In 1819 Parry was in command of an expedition consisting of two ships, the " Hecla " and "Griper," With the same object in view, they went 600 miles further West than any previous explorers. For this exploit Parry received £6000. In 1821, Parry, in command of the " Fury " and " Hecla," spent two winters in the Arctic regions. In 1824 Parry went on another expedition with the same two ships. The f1 Fury" was abandoned, and the expedition returned in 1825, not having accomplished their object. In 1827 Parry tried to reach the North Pole with boats and sledges. The expedition set sail in the "Hecla." They managed to reach latitude 82 deg. 45 min. They would have advanced much further if the ice had not been moving South almost as quickly as they went North. This drift is the same drift as that which carried the " Fram " out of the ice last August.

The next Arctic expedition was that of the ill-fated Sir John Franklin. Franklin set out with two steamships, the i1 Erebus " and " Terror," Franklin commanded the " Erebus " and Captain Crozier the " Terror." They sailed from England on May 18th, 1845, and on July 26th they were seen by a whaler. They were fastened to the ice in Melville Bay, on the West coast of Greenland, This was the last that was beard of them for 14 years. In 1847 Sir John Richardson was sent from England to take provisions to the expedition, Nothing could be found of the expedition, Anxiety became intense. Relief expeditions were fitted out. In 1848 five were despatched; in 1849, three; in 1850, ten-four of which were tinder the Government, and were commanded by Austin, Ommaney, Collinson, and McClure; in 1851, two ; in 1852, nine ; in 1853, five: in 1854, two ; in 1855, one ; and in 135.-, one-making, altogether, 38 expeditions. The Government expedition under Captain Ommaney, despatched in 1850, found on Beechey a vast quantity of tinned meat, which had been condemned as unfit to eat. For four years nothing further was discovered, and then an expedition was sent by the Hudson Bay Company. This expedition learned from the natives that a party of white men had been seen on the ice near King William's Land four years before, and that their bodies bad been found on the mainland near the mouth of the Great Fish River. They also obtained from the Eskimos many articles, such as spoons, forks, etc, and a small silver plate, on which was engraved the words, " Sir John Franklin, K.G.B."

The results of these expeditions satisfied the Admiralty that all the. members of the Franklin Expedition were dead. So the Admiralty declined to go ti the expense of sending out any more expeditions. Lady Franklin, however, determined to find out more about the expedition. At her own cost the " Fox " yacht was fitted out, and placed under the command of Captain McClintock.

This expedition found a cairn in which was a bottle containing the fol­lowing news:-That Sir John Franklin had died on the 11th of June, 1847; that the " Erebus" and " Terror "had been deserted on April 22nd, 1848; that the expedition, under Captain Crozier, was going to start the next day for the Fish River. The Eskimos told McClintock that one of the ships sank in mid water and the other was driven ashore, and that all the expedition had died,

The next expedition was an American one. It was fitted out at the expense of the United States Government. It was placed under command of Dr. Kane, and one of its objects was to search for Sir John Franklin. The route chosen was that along Smith's Sound, the northerly prolongation of Batten's Bay. Bane passed the winter of 1863-64 on the west coast of Greenland, in lat. 78 deg. 43 min. north. He explored Kennedy Channel, the northerly prolonga­tion of Smith's Sound. They reached lat, 81 deg, 22 min. Hayes, who accompanied Kane on this expedition, reached a little further North by sledge journeys.

The next two expeditions were German ones. The first was under Captain Koldeway, in the steamship " Germania." They explored the East coast of Greenland. They went a little North of the 81st parallel of latitude. In 1869 Koldeway again set out in the " Germania," in company with a sailing vessel, the " Hansa." The vessels were separated, and the 1` Hansa" was crushed. After many vicissitudes, her crew reached Greenland in safety. In August, 1869, the " Germania " was imprisoned in the ice, The expedition passed the winter in safety. In February, 1870, they began sledge expeditions, and managed to reach the 77th degree of latitude. The ice was so good, that if they had had provisions enough they would have been able to proceed much further North ; but the expedition had to return unsuccessful, not having got as far as the 78th parallel.

Lieutenant Payer, of the Austrian Navy, had accompanied Koldeway in the 11 Germania." Payer, in company with Wuyspucht, set out to try to find the Pole in 1871. They went between Nova Zembla and Spitzbergen, and found open sea between 42 deg. and 60 deg. E. of Greenland, and past the 76 parallel. Owing to lack of provisions they bad to turn back.

Payer fitted out another expedition in 1872, and set out in the " Tyethoff," well equipped as to provisions. The ship was fastened in the ice in August. The ice was blown about by the wind, and in August, 1873, they were in sight of land, which they called Franz-Joseph Land, past the 80th parallel of lati­tude. They spent the winter in that land, after abandoning the ship. Next year they entered Austria Sound, and went as far North as the 81st parallel, reaching a cape, which they called Cape Flejely. From there they saw land further North, which they called Petermann Land. Payer made a map of these regions. This map puzzled Nansen a good deal, until he found out that it was wrong. After a very nasty journey they reached Nova Zembla, and were from there taken to Vardoe by a Russian trading ship.

In 1871 a United States Expedition was fitted out, and put under the command of Captain Buddington. With Buddington went Captain Hall, who was the best known man of the expedition. The expedition set out in June, 1871, in the United States' ship " Polaris." They proceeded up Smith's Sound and Kennedy Channel, and reached lat. 82 degs. 16 min. on September 3rd. They found open sea stretching far to the North. For some reason Buddington refused to go any further, and, in spite of Hall, turned back. They wintered in Robeson Channel, a little beyond the 81st parallel. In September, 1871, Captain Hall died. In Spring. 1872, the expedition started on their return journey. After suffering shipwreck, they were rescued by a whaling vessel.

(To be continued.)

S.R.G.S. v. OLD Boys.

Played Feb. 10th, at Broomhall Park. The ground had just got rid of its burden of snow, and was in consequence somewhat moist. However this did not prevent a very even game from being fought out. Bramley won the toss and elected to play up. The School played well for the first half and during the greater part of the second.

Though we were somewhat pressed at first the Old Boys were unable to score. But if they did not obtain a goal, neither did we, and at half-time neither side could claim a point. Things continued in the same way for some time after the re-start, then the School allowed the Old Boys to score twice in succession, and a third shot was given off­side; we then rushed down, and Walker put the ball through the goal but this also was given off side, though the ball came off the goal­keeper. At time the score stood 2-0 against us,

Team:-Cornu (goal) ; Haslam, Thomas (backs) ; Twigg, Lincey, Hampton (half-backs) ; Steel, Binney, Walker, Coombe, Bramley (forwards).


This match was played on our ground, February 13. The Club started with a furious rush downhill, Haslam having won the toss and elected to play up. The Grammar School seemed to be taken com­pletely by surprise, and allowed the Club to score an easy goal. This the Club did five times in rapid succession, and not until the score was 6--0 against us did our fellows recover themselves. Then they settled down to their work, and for some time the play was in the centre of the field. After half-time, when the School had the advantage of the ground, they pressed in their turn, but were repeatedly repulsed. Some short delay was caused owing to one of the Clubmen getting hurt. On resuming, the Club attacked and rushed the ball up, but the would-be scorer slipped about three yards from the goal, so Cornu was able to save. Again they rushed up, but failed to score. When time was called we found ourselves defeated by 6-0. Sampson and Darbyshire did a great deal of good work for us.


Played at Doncaster, Feb. 17th. This was a most keenly contested match, and very exciting to watch owing to the speed with which the game changed from one end to the other. The ground was in excellent condition, being dry but not hard.

Soon after the start, Doncaster forced a corner, which was nearly disastrous to us, one of their men touching the ball after it had gone between the posts. Then the play was transferred to the opposite end of the field, but, quickly returning, Thomas saved what would probably have been a goal. A. little later Doncaster scored their first goal. Then Davies and Coombe put in some good work on the left wing, the latter putting the ball through the goal off the opposite back, but it was unfortunately given off side. Next Haslam, robbing the forwards, passed to Steel and Douthwaite, and our first goal was scored, Douthwaite sending in a shot which bounced over their goal-keeper's head, so that the score at half-time was 1-l.

Soon after the restart Walker put in a good shot, also Hampton, who, with a splendid kick, sent the ball once mop e through the enemy's goal. Then Steel nearly scored, the ball just going over the crossbar. After this the ball returned to our half of the field, and Cornu saved two splendid shots, and Thomas, in relieving, put it out dangerously near our own goal. Then Doncaster scored from a good corner, and, once more, Cornu saved an excellent shot. Doncaster still pressed, and our backs and halves had hard work keeping the ball away. However, we recovered, and made a rush once more, but failed to score. Then the whistle was blown, and the well-fought battle ended in a draw (2-2).

Team :-Cornu (goal); Haslam, Thomas (backs) ; Twigg, Lincey, Hampton (hall-backs); Davies, Coombe, Walker, Douthwaite, Steel (forwards).


This match was fixed for Wednesday, Feb. 24th, but at the last moment we received a post card to say that our opponents were unable to play, without stating a reason. A practice game was held instead.


Played on our ground, on Saturday, Feb. 27th. Great interest was attached to this fixture, which was looked forward to with no little eagerness. The Masters had taken kindly interest in it, and two or three practice games had been organized between the four elevens. On the morning of the match the authorities saw that the ground was well­prepared by setting some original daubers to work, who performed their no light task satisfactorily, and at the end of morning school some excellent advice was given to the teams, which, if it did not meet with the success it deserved, is sure to benefit them sooner or later.

The afternoon was as fine as could be, and there was a large num­ber of spectators, chiefly Wesleyans.

We kicked off, but were forced back, and the College got down, Cornu saving. Lincey kicked up the field and a break-away by King and Bramley looked like scoring but the goal-keeper got the ball away. Cornu was next conspicuous for a good save, and Walker ran up on the right but his pass was intercepted and Cornu was again called on. Lincey missed his kick, and the College forwards got down on the right. Here Parker, though hampered, got in a beautiful centre, which Rhodes rushed through at the end of twelve minutes. Next Twigg made a dodgy run, which was followed by Haslam saving and kicking away. Rhodes forced a corner but nothing came of it. Some long kicks occupied the next few minutes, till Hampton gave Collins some work. At the other end Lincey saved an attack by the College forwards, but directly after Parker, steadying himself, shot bard in, and the ball, striking the under 'part of the cross-bar, passed through the posts. The ball had only just been re-started when the College came down with a rush and Rhodes scored the third goal We then put more life into our play and kept the ball in our opponents' quarters for some time, Steel eventually shooting wide when well placed. Walker was prominent for some head-work, and then the College were starting for a rush when the whistle went for half-time with the score Wesley College, 3 goals ; School, 0 goal.

After the interval our opponents went away with a dash and twice shot wide, but a third shot from Rhodes, who was standing apart, reached its destination, and made the College four up. We then dashed down, and Bramall, falling as he was about to kick, left King with an almost open goal, but he put the ball the wrong side of the post. This was a great disappointment to us, for a, goal ought certainly to have been scored. Next Bramley forced a corner with a fine shot which the goal-keeper just tipped over the bar; this was well taken, but the ball was got away. Bramley again sent in a scorching shot which was only inches wide. A third attempt by the same player ended in a well-deserved goal for us. Both sides played up with more vigour after this, and each goal was visited in turn. Hereabouts Steel was knocked clean on to the path by Nixon-an action which seemed quite uncalled for and most ungentlemanly. Haslam was prominent with a clever save, but the College returned to the attack, and Thomas handled the ball a few yards from the goal. From the ensuing free kick the ball was hustled through. Wesley College pressed again on re-starting and we were obliged to act on the defensive, Haslam and Cornu getting the ball away. A misfortune here befell us, as from a corner conceded by Thomas, Haslam headed the ball through his own goal, this being the sixth goal to the College. At this period our right wing seemed unable to make any headway, Davies failing to go for the ball and Walker being unable to assist him. Pretty passing by Steel and Bramley on the left enabled the latter to got in a long shot which went wide. Just on time King gave Collins a hard shot which was safely negotiated, and time came with the scores-Wesley College, 6 goals ; School, 1 goal.

Team :-Cornu (goal ; Haslam, Thomas (backs) ; Twigg, Lincey, Hampton (half-backs) ; Bramley, Davies, Walker, King, Steel (forwards).

The game was tremendously fast from start to finish. Individually we played well, but somehow our forwards cannot play together. Bramley played one of his characteristic games and set his team a good example, but he received insufficient support. The trio of halves did their best, without one shining more than than another. The backs were fair but a bit risky, and Cornu in goal, besides stopping some hard shots, is free of blame for the six goals that passed him.


The second eleven match was played at the College. The School lost the toss, and had to play during the first half against the wind and with the sun in their eyes. For a few minutes after the start the play was in our favour, but the College, which had a very heavy team compared with our own, soon drove us back, and scored their first goal ten minutes after the commencement of the game. Four more goals were added by them before half-time, they having the best of the play generally, though our boys made some good runs, which failed from lack of combination. After the third goal Beaumont and Salisbury II. changed places, and at half-time the score was 5-0 against us. The sun was by this time behind the trees, and the wind having gone down the College had not the disadvantages which we had to contend with at the beginning. At the commencement of the second half the play was characterised by rushes from one end of the ground to the other, but ultimately-the College scored once more, though not before Beaumont had saved some hot shots. The College again attacked, and owing to our backs getting in each others' way, succeeded in scoring their seventh goal. The School then began to press, but with no good result, and the ball was in mid-field when the whistle blew, making the final score 7-0 in favour of the College. On the whole our boys played well individually, and their heavy defeat must be attributed to their having had so little practice this term.

Team :-Salisbury II (goal) ; Waterfall, Coupe (backs) ; Binney II, Douthwaite, Beaumont (half-backs); Brown, Feinhols, James, Salis­bury I, Hattersley (forwards).


This match was played at Brocco Bank. They won the toss and we had to play uphill with the wind and sun against us. Our men showed themselves sadly in want of practice. The backs were never reliable, and the forwards showed great inability to combine. The College scored four times during the first half to our none. Lockwood made several attempts to take the ball up to the enemy's goal but there was no one to back him up. In the second part of the game the College, though playing at a disadvantage, scored twice more. We also managed to obtain a goal, but it is doubtful whether one of our own men or one of the College put it through.

Team :-Allison (goal) ; Oates, Lee (backs) ; Binney, Furnival, Trickett (half-backs) ; Lockwood, Frost, Cockayne, Buck, Innocent (forwards).


We started by playing downhill, and for the first half the game was very even. Fagan scored the first goal for us from a corner taken by Winder, and Vickers, from a splendid shot in front of goal, soon afterwards equalised the scores, which were 2-2 at half-time. During the second half the College had considerably the best of the game, and scored five more goals, thus defeating us 7-2. Vickers was conspicuous as forward, and Winder and Fagan as half-backs.

Team:-Briggs (goal) ; Camm, Burbidge (backs) ; Fagan, Hydes, Swindell (half-backs); Townsend, Winder, Vickers, Coombe, Swift I (forwards).

Cambridge University Local Examinations, December, 1896,

The Class Lists have been published, and the following are the results as far as they affect the School

SENIORS.-Class I : O. Glauert, distinguished in Arithmetic and Mathematics ; G. Norwood, distinguished in Latin and Greek. Class II : J. A. Pate. Class III : J. E. Lister. Satisfied the Examiners F. H. Bramley ; C. W. Dodson.

Juniors.-Class I.-First Division : B. I. Dalton, distinguished in Religious Knowledge, English, Latin, and French. Class I.---Second Division : J. H, Preston, distinguished in Latin and French, Class II: A. Allison, C. Coore, A. S. Hahn, W. Steel. Class III: H. Hattersley, distinguished in Drawing ; J. S, King. Satisfied the Examiners : C. S. Coombe, J. A. N. Crowther, W. B. Douthwaite, H. P. Foers, C. W. B. Haslam, H, II. James, B. Lister, C. M. Thompson, A. P. Turnbull, E. J. Twigg, F. Ward.

Thomas I. and Twigg have received their Football Colours.

Members of the Scripture Union (School Boys') belonging to the School were asked to meet at the School on Sunday, February 28th, at three o'clock in the afternoon, for a short study of the Scriptures. Though the attendance was small, a pleasant hour was spent. The Head Master spoke a few words on the portion for the day, and J. G. Chambers, who has been instrumental in starting these meetings, gave a short address. It is proposed to hold such meetings either fortnightly or monthly, and it is hoped that a great many fellows in the School will support this work.

We quote the following from << Rambler" of January 28th:-11 On the list of gentlemen called to the Bar at the Middle Temple, on Tuesday evening last, appears the name of Mr. John Arthur Slater. Mr. Slater is an old Grammar School boy. He was educated at London University, and has taken the degrees of  B.A. and LL.B. At the last Bar examination he took second place in honours, and was awarded a scholarship of £50 by the Middle Temple."

Mr. Overend has presented to the School Museum the various specimens of coal products used in illustrating his lecture.