Bob Needham, John Brown, Marriott, P J Wallis (Coach), Roy Hadfield, Freddie (GMJ) Fenton, Mike Stanfield;
Jack Hallows, Ken Heeley, Peter Fletcher, David Keighley, Pete Mayor.

[Photo + names courtesy of Michael Stanfield assisted by Jack Hallows]

FIRST XI 49-50

Football [KES Mag Dec 1949]


IT is too early since the visit of Mr. J. H. Frew, the Yorkshire F.A. Coach, to assess the effect on the standard of school football. From the interest shown in his visit we are expecting some good results when his lessons have been fully mastered. On the first morning he took the first two elevens and a few senior members of Houses, and dealt mainly with ball control, trapping, passing and running into position. In the afternoon the first teams were coached by their captains and the Coach visited each game in turn. A number of one-footed players found it difficult to play left-foot football. The criticism made was that boys did not keep to their positions but tended to follow the ball. It is hoped that all House teams will make a real effort to improve the standard of their game because this is the best way of raising the general level throughout the school. The next morning the Coach took the Under-15 and Under-r4 teams and dealt particularly with heading and tackling. In the afternoon he attended the second-form games and was quite impressed with the standard shown in a trial game. The Third XI have attended regularly at school practices this term and were rewarded by a strenuous session with the Coach. As he showed them several new games it was interesting as well as instructive.

The results so far this season have been rather better than last year. Pride of place must go to the Second XI who have won all their matches and only given two goals away. The First XI are not far behind, having lost only one school match, but that rather badly. The Under-15 XI has also done better than before, and owe their thanks to Mr. D. J. Wilson who has now taken responsibility for them.

It is pleasing to report an increased attendance of boys and parents supporting the teams. We would like to welcome even more at future matches.

P. J. W.


The season promised well as there were more than eleven boys at school who had played for the first XI before and these included Fletcher (captain), Heeley (secretary) and Mousley (centre-forward). The only newcomer was Fenton who played a brilliant game in the School trial. The team has been much more settled than last year and has not been troubled much by injury. It has usually been: Hadfield (after Parnham left); Needham, Hallows; Fletcher, Marriott, Heeley; Fenton, Mayor, Mousley, Keighley, Stanfield. Dickens has played quite frequently in one of the inside-forward positions. Colours for the first half of the season have been awarded to Hallows and Keighley.

v. Old Edwardians. At Whiteley Woods, September 10th. Won 8-4.

The first match was played in glorious cricket weather on a hard ground and the result of the corresponding match last year was exactly reversed. It was not for some time that the first goal was scored when Fenton seized a chance from a faulty clearance and outpaced the defence to score. The O.E.'s replied immediately from the kick-off. the school team then gradually gained the ascendancy. Although many goals were missed, Mousley, ably supported by the inside forwards, scored five and Fletcher. in his first game as captain, was an inspiration to the defence. Many of the team, however, were a trifle slow on to the ball and did not always use it to the best advantage.

v. C. B. Dawson's XI. At Whiteley Woods, September 17th. Lost 1-5.

It was tantalising to meet a team of Old Boys which was heavier and faster than the School team and also than the official Old Edwardians' team played the previous week. The first goal was a good one, with Mousley finishing some neat passing with a good shot. Again the opponents were allowed to equalise immediately and then they took command of the game for the rest of the first half. With defensive slips and opportunities missed by the forwards the score was t-4 at half-time. The second half was more even although the play became a little ragged at times. The school forwards had several near shots but were unable to beat Dawson. The team would have done better if it had not been so slow and if the marking had been closer.

v. Headmaster's XI. At Whiteley Woods, September 21St. Lost 0-3.

The School team played rather a poor game but the visitors were not much better; their three goals were due to their dash and greater willingness to shoot in front of goal. Neither set of wing-halves and inside-forwards had the ability to draw the opposite defence and make an accurate ground-pass, although Fletcher tried but without much response. Occasionally the right-wing triangle showed flashes of understanding only for the move to fade out at the critical moment. The left-wing triangle, Dickens excepted, showed little or no constructive ability or even ball control. In defence Needham and Hallows played well; Parnham, however, was at fault with at least two of the goals, which were scored by Crowe with a snap-shot just before half-time, and Haywood and Shaddock in the second half.    (D. W. K.)

v. Sheffield Club. At Whiteley Woods, September 24th. Won 7-3.

After a corner from Fenton had gone straight across the goal mouth the visitors rallied and several successive shots were cleared from the home goal-line. It was rather against the run of the game when the School team took the lead owing to a defensive lapse. After other near efforts at both ends, Keighley put through a long pass for Mousley to score easily, but the visitors replied almost immediately. In the later stages of the game the School team played much more aggressively and took complete command of the game.

v. Lincoln School. At Lincoln, October 1st. Drawn o-o.

In the first inter-school match there was little to choose between the two sides. In both cases the forwards lacked punch and the defence was on top. A number of good moves were marred by bad finishing and on a number of occasions a forward changed position and then passed to his old place. The home goal-keeper saved the few good shots directed his way and the School forward line looked much less threatening after Mayor had to retire to the wing position-previously he had engineered several good movements. The home team were quicker in getting to the ball and bringing it under control and also tackled more effectively.

v. Rotherham Grammar School. At Whiteley Woods. October 5th. Won 5-2.

There was little to choose between the teams at first and the visitors obtained the first goal after a partial save by Parnham. After more desultory play, Mayor gave Mousley a good pass from which he scored, but another defensive lapse put Rotherham ahead again immediately. After the interval Stanfield obtained the equaliser from the centre-forward position and then the School team drew ahead. Keighley added a further goal after Mousley's shot had been blocked and, before the end, Mayor gave Mousley a long through pass from which he scored.

v. Bootham School. At Whiteley Woods, October 8th. Won 12-1.

The visitors opened the score after the School team had missed a sitter, and then we missed another good chance before Mayor scored with a swerving shot. Keighley put the School team ahead after a good interchange of positions with Mousley. While there had only been one goal difference in the first half, the second half was very different. The forwards combined together much better and scored continuously.

v. Derbyshire Amateurs. At Whiteley Woods, October 15th. Won 3-1.

In this match the School team found their form much quicker than previously. In the first half, some good constructive play was marred only by poor finishing. Keighley scored both goals with shots in the corner. In the second half the standard of football was not so good. Because the defence did not clear properly the visitors scored and then attacked strongly for several minutes but without scoring. The School team showed a tendency to overdo the close game, sometimes the passes were not careful enough, and there was a strange reluctance to challenge an opponent before he had brought the ball under control.

v. Repton "A". At Repton, October 18th. Won 3-2.

The team started off in an inspired way. Within a few minutes a move down the right wing led to an easy goal for Mousley who shortly afterwards scored again from a pass from the left. After this the game became more even, particularly after the power of the forward line was weakened when Mayor was injured. The handicap of playing one short and the heavy ground were felt, and the home team attacked strongly and drew level. However the School team rallied again and went ahead with a third goal by Mousley, capping a good movement started by Keighley.

v. High Storrs G. S. At High Storrs, October 22nd. Drawn 2-2.

In the first half the home team kept up a vigorous attack and the play was mostly in our half. The defence played well, with Hadfield making some fine saves and Hallows being as cool as ever, so that the School team was only one goal down at half-time. After the interval the forwards played better and Keighley equalised with a good shot. Almost immediately the School team gained the lead but were unable to maintain it.

v. R.A.F. College, Cranwell.     At Whiteley Woods. November 5th. Won 16-0.

Through a misunderstanding, Cranwell arrived with a Second XI (which was itself weakened by injuries). The School started strongly and missing an open goal seemed to spur them on. It was unfortunate for the visitors that the forwards played one of their best games of the season and several of the goals scored were the result of really beautiful movements. Although they were one short through injury during part of the second half the visitors struggled on and were unfortunate not to score one goal.

v. Woodhouse G. S. At Whiteley Woods, November 9th. Lost 2-9.

This game was played while there were still pools of water on the pitch. The visitors won easily largely because they seized their opportunities and adapted their game to the conditions. Several of the visitors' goals were due to bad defensive lapses, in particular, bad marking and a tendency not to clear at first but to dribble in the (often vain) hope of getting into a better position. Although they scored the first goal, the School forwards never looked really threatening. For most of the second half the game was much more even and the School team scored the only goal, but towards the end the defence fell to pieces and the visitors added four more goals.

v. Manchester G. S. At Whiteley Woods, November 12th. Won 2-0.

Again conditions were bad under foot and made much worse by continuous rain and a strong cold wind. The slippery conditions were probably responsible for the visiting captain making his one mistake of the match and letting in a good long shot from the School captain. Mousley scored the other goal with one of his typical efforts-a good through pass enabled him to outpace two defenders and put in a good shot. On a number of occasions the visitors showed glimpses of their real form with fast attacks but these were spoiled by poor finishing.

P. J. W.


The second XI has made a fine start to the season, having won all games played so far. Such a record is hard to criticise. Yet there is still a tendency to hang back from a tackle. This will be remedied. The defence has settled down to the following formation: - Jones; Bradshaw, Beeley; Thornton, Everitt, Buchan (Capt.)

Hadfield was lost to the 1st XI, yet Jones has been an excellent replacement. The backs are reasonably safe, though Beeley is not inclined to head a heavy ball. Thornton has shown a remarkable improvement and Everitt's defensive play is sound, though his kicking length could improve, whilst Buchan is happier in the half-back line. The forwards have been chosen from Williams, Prideaux, Charles, Brown, Thomas and May; Dickens has often been required by the 1st XI. Brown has led the line well, and is becoming deadly with both feet and head near goal. May has also had his fair share of goals. We look to Charles and Thomas to supply the craft-but they mustn't overlook that they also have to help the defence. Williams at times has been guilty of tapping the ball about instead of making haste towards the corner flag.

C. H. H.

Second XI v. The Staff. Saturday, October 22nd.

In its three previous games the 2nd XI had not conceded a goal, but on several occasions during this match the record was nearly lost. Playing fast, forceful, football, the team met unexpectedly strong opposition from a near-veteran side which maintained the strenuous pace creditably. The main difference was in front of goal, where the 2nd XI forwards demonstrated their superiority by scoring through Brown in the first half, and May and Brown after the interval, although there was an element of luck about the second goal. The score did not wholly represent the play, but it proved that the side which makes for goal and shoots hard is more likely to win. A return game is being demanded by the Staff.

G. C. G.

Sept. 24. School, 5. Old Edwardians 2nd XI, 0.
Oct. 1. School, 6. Central Technical School 1st XI, 0.
Oct. 8. Bootham School, 0. School, 9.
Oct. 22. School, 3. Staff, 0.
Nov. 5. School, 6. Barnsley G. S. 2nd XI, 2.
Nov. 12. School, 2. Huddersfield Amateurs 2nd XI, 0.
(Abandoned after 30 minutes play)

Scorers: Brown, J. B., 13. May, 12. Buchan, 2. Prideaux, 2. Thomas, 1. Williams, 1.


The one game played so far this season, a victory against Owler Lane by 3-1, was outstanding for keen tackling; on this showing we have already a good basis for the team. Attendances at evening practices have been particularly encouraging.

W. J. D.


'The team has started the season well. An initial (and rather fortunate) victory over a strong Carfield side proved very encouraging and the team has settled down to play entertaining and constructive football. The recruits from last season's Under 14 side included the complete half-back line and this has continued to play outstandingly well. Defensive tackling and kicking, after a somewhat disappointing start, have gradually improved, though tackling in particular is still too hesitant. 'The criticism of hesitancy can be levelled against the team in general. There is a marked tendency to leave the ball to do the work, with fatal results, as was apparent at Barnsley. The forward line, though able to work openings, has too often failed to exploit them. Goddard however has added much-needed punch and has scored most of the goals. There is every reason to be optimistic about the rest of the season.

Played 6. Won 3. Drawn 1. Lost 2. Goals for, 18. Goals against 17.

D. J. W.


Only four matches have been played to date and the team has not vet settled down with the necessary understanding of each other's moves. Individually, each member of the team has worked hard. The defence has been sound, with Nuttall outstanding at centre-half, but there has been a lack of understanding between the inside forwards and the wing halves, who must learn to distribute the ball. The inside forwards should learn the value of the long pass to the opposite wing. Every member of the team has played with enthusiasm and determination, and two defeats were the result of lack of weight and size in the forward line. Rowbotham has been a good Captain, showing real zeal, and has played his part well on the field. The visit of the F.A. coach was much appreciated and his instruction, particularly his hints on tackling, should prove of great value.

J. C. H.


Sept. 24 v. Hunter's Bar C.S. Won 5-0.
Oct. 1 v. Central Technical School. Lost 0-4.
Oct. 8 v. Rotherham G.S. Lost o 4.
Nov. 3 v. Barnsley G.S. Lost o-2.
Nov. 12 (U. 14 and U. 15 joint XI) v. Southey Green C.S. Draw 2-2.


We are fortunate in having a very enthusiastic and capable lot of juniors this season. The only difficulty is that many of them are good enough to play for the Under 14 XI; the Under 13 XI can, in consequence, rarely turn out as the same team. In their first match, the defence got a good grip of the game and beat Hunter's Bar by 6 goals to nil. The many changes necessary for the second match and some early slackness in defence led to their being defeated 1-2, by a very lively team from High Storrs. We hope to get our revenge in the return match.

H. T. R. T.

Football [KES Mag Mar 1950]

Football 1949-50

THE improved performances shown in the first half of the season have been continued. Chief honours go to the Second Eleven which, under Buchan's captaincy and with Mr. Harper's warm encouragement, has not been defeated (in school matches) through the season. This is particularly pleasing as injuries have led to various team changes and the reserves played have kept up the previous standard.

  P. W. D. L. F. A.
Ist XI - 26 16 5 5 115 58
2nd XI - 9 8 0 1 38 6
3rd X1 - 5 2 2 1 14 14
Under 15 XI - 10 5 1 4 30 25
Under 14 XI - 7 2 2 3 11 1 4


The main strength of the team has been in defence, but on a number of occasions the forwards have combined well and given a beautiful exhibition of football. The team has not changed very much, although Dickens has been a very reliable reserve when wanted.

FLETCHER (Captain and right-half). Not a little of the team's success this year has been due to the very fine example set by the captain. His own football has improved considerably since last year and he has usually been the outstanding player on the field. His tackling has been most effective and his persistence a model to all. On many occasions his long pass has opened up the game and set the forwards off in a threatening move and on other occasions he has been close enough to shoot or head in himself.           

P. J. W.

HADFIELD (Goalkeeper) He has settled down well in goal and has played many good games. His handling is usually clean and his groundwork is extremely good. He must strengthen his kicking, however, and his judgment of long shots could be improved.

NEEDHAM (Right-Back). His speed in covering has pulled the defence out of some awkward situations. His tackling is good and his first time kicking adequate. His main weakness at the moment is his kicking of a dead ball, which needs to be much stronger. He was awarded his colours at the end of the season.

HALLOWS (Left-Back). Hard tackling and accurate clearances with both feet have marked his play during the season. He makes up for his lack of speed with sound positional play, packing the goal well, and deservedly won his colours.

MARRIOTT (Centre-Half). His heading has always been efficient and reliable. His clearing is thoughtful and well carried out, especially his placing to the wings, and he has been awarded his colours. He must learn to cover his colleagues more effectively and to check a tendency to wander from the middle of the field.

HEELEY (Left-Half). After a slow start to the season he steadily improved and is now playing very consistently. He is a stern tackler and has a good understanding with Hallows. Stronger kicking would certainly help him in ball distribution. He has been an efficient secretary.

FENTON (Outside-Right). A speedy winger who never really lived up to his early season's promise. He has the ability to beat a man and centre, but is never happy when the ball is put straight at him. His first-time shooting needs to he much more accurate.

MAYOR (Inside-Right). His ball control and distribution have been on a consistently high level, though he tends at times to overdo his dribbling. A mid-season injury took some of the bite out of his play, but his swerving runs still continue to cut defences open. He might shoot more often. He gained his colours at the end of the season.

BROWN (Centre-Forward). He had a difficult task in replacing Mousley after Christmas. He has now settled down and is finding the net regularly, although he has his share of misses. His shooting needs to be more accurate, especially with his left foot, and he must avoid " bunching " on his inside men.

KEIGHLEY (Inside-Left). He has been the general of the forward line. His game is always well thought out and effective, his through pass being extremely noticeable, and he has an accurate shot in either foot. He tends at times to neglect his defensive duties, and ill-health seems to have weakened his stamina. He was awarded his colours earlier in the season.

STANFIELD (Outside-Left). A fast and bustling winger who improved through the course of the season but who is still inconsistent. He possesses a good left foot, but he must learn to centre more accurately with it. His ball control, especially with his right foot, leaves much to be desired.

P. K. F.


Chesterfield G.S. At Chesterfield, November 23rd. Won 4-0.

The first part of this game was very even and the forwards, not showing much of their form, were lucky to get the first goal, but the second goal was more constructive. The conditions were such that the weak kickers were shown up. After Hadfield had made several good saves it took three corners before the last goal was added.

v. Ackworth School. At Ackworth, November 26th. Won 7-2.

After a lucky first goal, Mousley added two more, but then the game became more even, the School team being slow at getting to the ball. In the second half, Ackworth's scoring seemed to wake the team up and they replied immediately with a shot in the far corner from Brown, and later Mayor was able to make one of his rare scores when the goal-keeper was still dazed from the previous shot.

v. Barnsley G. S. At Barnsley, November 30th. Won 3-1.

After about twenty minutes without any goals, although there were several near efforts, Barnsley opened the score from a long through pass, but the School team soon replied with a goal from the left wing. In the second half the pace was faster. Stanfield seized an opportunity to put across a good centre which was scrambled in and later Mousley gave Fenton a through pass from which he put in a hard shot.

v. City Training College. At Whiteley Woods. December 7th. Lost 4- 6.

For the first few minutes the visitors attacked continuously and the School 2nd XI backs were given plenty to do; gradually the game became more equal and half-time was reached with one goal each. Then three goals were scored one after the other and being a goal down seemed to spur the team on to play better football, but the forwards were not challenging enough and found it difficult to score goals. The bad conditions made it difficult for some players to move the ball any appreciable distance. The defence did not mark quite close enough and consequently lost the lead, although the result was in doubt until the last whistle.

v. R.A.F. Cadet College, Cranwell. At Whiteley Woods, January 14th. Won 3-1.

After the unfortunate mistake of the previous term the School team were pleased to welcome the full Cranwell team to open the new term. A good shot from Mayor seemed to encourage the visitors but there was no further score before half-time. Stanfield's good goal was followed by some scrappy play and then the visitors scored from a faulty clearance, but Brown replied with a shot which was deflected by a defender.

v. Chesterfield G.S. At Whiteley Woods, January 18th. Lost 1-2.

The School's display was very disappointing after their previous form and the forwards particularly did not seem able to combine and really test the visiting goalkeeper. The only goal in the first half was when a corner came straight across the goal-mouth to an unmarked forward. By way of contrast a corner from Stanfield was allowed to go across the goal-line without one of our forwards being able to reach it. In this match there was far too much slack kicking and quite often a clearance from a half-back went direct to an opponent who was able to return it immediately. Keighley scored our only goal but the visitors regained the lead when Hadfield only partly cleared a shot. The School team had most of the attacking in the last part of the game but were unable to score, although at one stage several successive shots were more or less accidentally stopped.

v. Huddersfield Amateurs. At Whiteley Woods, January 21st. Won 9-2.

After a visiting winger had hit the upright with two successive shots, the School team attacked strongly, but the finishing was very weak and the visitors scored two goals due to defensive mistakes. Losing one man through injury the visitors were unable to prevent the School team scoring goal after goal in the second half.

v. 6th Royal Tank Regiment. At Whiteley Woods, January 25th. Won 4-1.

The ground was very hard for this match and the ball had to be watched very closely. In the first half the School team did not open out the game enough, although there were several threatening movements, particularly on the left. It was only in the last part of the match that the team really attacked vigorously. Several corners taken by Keighley down the slope looked dangerous and Marriott scored from one of them. By contrast with the away match the previous term, when School gave two goals away to draw the match, this time two more were added to make victory certain.

v. Woodhouse G.S.      At Woodhouse, January 28th. Draw 1-1.

Again the team was attacking for long periods but unable to get the ball in the net. The first goal came after the third attempt to put it in. The defence seemed impregnable when a chance shot went through the goalkeeper's legs as he was unsighted. Keeping up the attack the School team nearly scored from a corner in the last minute.

v. University A. At Norton, February 8th. Draw 4-4.

In the first half the University were quicker on the ball and gained a one goal lead although the best shot was one from Fenton which hit the bar and went across the goal without any forwards able to reach it. The result seemed certain when the University obtained two more goals, but the School team fought back strongly and drew level just before the end. The last few minutes were very vigorous with each side putting every effort into the attack.

v. University A. At Whiteley Woods, February 15th. Won 5--3

For this return match the School team played better, although without Needham and with Williams on the left wing, and despite the soft ground. The start was rather scrappy with the game all on the bottom side, but afterwards it was opened up and three goals were quickly added. One goal illustrated the value of the cross pass as the visitors' defence were expecting an attack down the right wing when the ball was switched across to Keighley who was hardly challenged as the defence were caught " on the wrong foot." After their first goal in the second half the visitors rallied and some half-hearted play by the defence led to the score becoming 4-3. The School team then fought back and obtained another goal to make victory certain.

P. J. W.

v. Ackworth. At Whiteley Woods, February 18th. Won 6-0.

The match started in heavy rain and a strong wind, but conditions soon improved and both sides settled down to some interesting, although not exciting, football, with kicking and heading of the heavy greasy ball generally sound. A weakened School defence was able to hold the slow moving Ackworth front line and gave solid support to its own forwards, who spoilt good approach work by weak finishing. In the second half the School team obtained a more pronounced mid-field supremacy and the ball rarely left the visitors' half of the field. The number of goals scored compared very unfavourably with the number of opportunities missed.

J. H.


The team has completed a successful season. Since the last report three matches have been played. The side suffered its only defeat against J. B. Crowe's XI, and then by the odd goal in three, the winning goal being rather a remarkable one. It only went to show that a defence should endeavour never to leave an opponent unmarked.

Convincing wins were gained over the Second XIs of Woodhouse and Chesterfield Grammar Schools. Second XI Colours were awarded as follows:

Re-Awards: Stanfield, Dickens, Buchan, Charles, and Bradshaw.

New Awards: Brown, Jones, Beeley, Thornton, Everitt, Williams, Thomas and Adams.

Adams came into the side when May left, and has justified his selection.


Jan. 14. v. J. B. Crowe's XI. Lost 2-1.
Jan. 21. v. Chesterfield G.S. Won 2-0.
Jan. 28. v. Woodhouse G.S. Won 4-2.

Scorers for the season:-Brown 13, May 12, Thornton 3, Williams 3, Buchan 2, Prideaux 2, Dickens 1, Charles 1, Thomas 1.

C. H. H.


Last term's lack of stamina, no doubt due to the sparse fixture list, has been much less evident in the last three matches, and we have had some fine finishes. A. Lewis has been transplanted from goal to centre forward and has proved surprisingly versatile. Gomm has taken his place in goal, and has shown excellent anticipation and speed on some most difficult surfaces. Adsetts and Dow have shared the captaincy efficiently and without fuss. It is hoped that the keenness always shown by the Third XI, both in training and on the field, will be rewarded next season by more fixtures.


v. Owler Lane, at home. Won 3-1.
v. High Storrs, away. Lost 2-5.
v. High Storrs, at home. Won 3-2.
v. Owler Lane, away. Drawn 1-1.
v. A.T.C., at home. Drawn 5-5.

W. J. D.


In the second half of the season the team has not been quite so successful. The advent of heavier ground conditions revealed the physical limitations of the attack which found the muddy ball very difficult to move. It was thus forced to adopt a much closer game than before and this was too easily countered by close marking by the opposing team.

The defence found itself extremely over-worked and, though the half-back line continued to play steadily, the backs and goal-keeper were at fault when many goals were scored. Marking at corners was not good and there was a strong tendency to hack the ball away blindly -as often as not, straight to an opponent's feet.

The half-back line and Goddard, at centre-forward, deserve special praise, the latter for his persistence when only weakly supported—as happened all too often. Perhaps the most improved player is Cousins, who patiently acted as twelfth man for most of the season, but struck form this term and has revealed a powerful kick and a very capable head. His size and energy have been a great asset to the side.


v. Carfield. (away) Won. 2-0.
v. Cent. Tech. Schl. (away) Lost. 0-4.
v. Rotherham G.S. (home). Won. 6-3.
v. High Storrs G.S. (home). Won. 7-3.
v. Barnsley G.S. (away). Lost. 1-5.
v. Ackworth Schl. 2nd XI. (away). Won. 2-0.
v. Chesterfield G.S. (home). Lost. 1-3.
v. Ackworth Schl. 2nd XI. (home). Won. 7-0.
Combined with U-14 XI.      
v. Southey Green Sec. Schl. (home). Drew. 2-2.
v. Southey Green Sec. Schl. (home). Lost. 2-5.

D. J. W.


As a result of the bad weather it has been possible to play only two matches since mid-November. One was at Lincoln on one of the wettest afternoons of the season, and the other on an ice-bound pitch at Chesterfield; but the team played well on both occasions.

The defence has been quite reliable throughout the season, but owing to illness and injuries, many changes have been necessary amongst the forwards, and the line has never developed enough striking power.

Results of Games Played.

1949. 26 Nov. v. Lincoln School (away) Drawn 1-1.
1950. 21 Jan. v. Chesterfield G.S. (away) Won 2-1.

J. C. H.


The only matches played this term were the two-for the Under 13 and Under 12 teams -against High Storrs, which had had to be abandoned in November owing to a snowstorm. The replays were in weather almost as bad, but both teams struggled valiantly against the wind and won; the Under 13 XI, rather luckily, by 1-0, so gaining revenge for a narrow defeat at Whiteley Woods, and the Under 12 XI, very convincingly, by 2-0. This is a good team and should do well next year.

This season, for the first time, an experiment with a junior House League has been made, the Second Forms going to Whiteley Woods on Thursdays instead of Wednesdays. There are many obvious advantages-more changing room and a better hot-water supply as well as greater opportunities for youngsters to show their ability in their own age-group, and for coaching. All the games, too, are played on the best pitches available; a very important aid to small boys.

The only apparent disadvantage has been that every house has not been able to select a full team of capable footballers within the limits of its Under 12's. But on the whole the experiment has been successful, though the last match of the competition could not be played. Haddon provided a well-balanced XI and were worthy winners; Chatsworth did well to be second, with a team which was more uneven in quality; Wentworth started the season very well and then weakened; while Welbeck, after a poor first round, did not lose a match in the second half.

Full results:—

    P. W. D. L. Pts.
I. Haddon 13 10 3 0 23
2. Chatsworth 13 10 1 2 21
3. Clumber 13 6 4 3 16
4. Welbeck 13   3 5 13
5. Wentworth 13 6 0 7 12
6. Arundel 13 3 3 7 9
6. Lynwood 13 3 3 7 9
8. Sherwood 13 0 1 12 1

H. T. R. T.